Out-drive help

The more I think about this the more I think this has been there. I I don't think I'm currently leaking oil but I can see how one would think that based on my photos. That's a stain that doesn't come off and again. ...I put the new gear lube in 24 hours ago and then ran it tonight and the dipstick still shows full.

Yeah, you should be good, I just looked at some pics of outdrives on Feebay, and they have the same hole in that location.

After seeing the pics it looks like your lower unit is a quick and easy one to drop off just like outboards. Just saying........... :p

Yeah but what gaskets would I have to replace? Doesn't matter now....I ran it last night and will run it again probably tomorrow night and then drain it and put new in again.

Not being a jerk, but the amount of time and oil you are using, you could have dropped the lower and changed oil once .... Just sayin... LOL !!! I "think" there's a gasket or o-ring where lower meets mid unit.

Actually, after looking at schematic, pulling the prop shaft may have been the way to go. It looks like the lower is sealed at the vertical shaft bearings, so you probably could not get from there. Oh well, hopefully your way works anyhow ......

Last edited by a moderator:
As opposed to putting new in. Another possibility would be to strain what you have and reuse it.

As opposed to putting new in. Another possibility would be to strain what you have and reuse it.
Yeah, I thought of that too. Might take awhile, but run it through a coffee filter ......

I drained the gear lube again last night. For the first minute I had some clear/white dust-like residue come out within the lube and then nothing but the clear amber lube itself. I am going to assume that the piece of tubing was pulverized (as people had said it would) by the gears and that's what I saw come out first. I put new back in and I am FINALLY ready to dump the boat in my lake this weekend.

Back