Outboard 150, idle speed gear?

lostpacket

Reaction score
First new boat so all of this is new to me. If I'm going full throttle and back it down to stop it "clicks" into a gear before neutral that still appears to be forward but idle speed maybe? If I then lower it more it clicks into neutral. I'm assuming this is by design but what is this separate section used for and do I also transition to that first or can I go right into neutral? I just assumed this first click was neutral but it's not...

First click is a detent to engage drive and hold throttle at idle speed in gear, same in reverse. I pause at idle and let the boat slow before I go into neutral.

Ah, that makes sense, Is this where I should be for docking, does it provide enough thrust to dock with?

It's all a learning experience. Sometimes even idle speed is too fast for docking. Practice, practice, practice.

When docking, never travel at a faster than you're be willing to hit the dock, trailer, etc.
Slow, with an engage, neutral, engage, neutral action. Lining up with the engage, and slowing/coasting with the neutral. If you aren't where you think you should be, don't be afraid to back off and start over.

Last edited:
so far I'm 75% success on docking. :) . We have a tricky spot as I have to trim as far up as I can because there are large rocks right around the dock. This means the boat is not very responsive, especially in reverse. I basically get one shot, luckily it's pretty shallow (2-4') so worse case I jump in and push the boat to the dock. ;-)

My current method is drop to idle about 30' out and start to trim up, I measured it to about the 3/4 mark on the gauge. I then try to focus and line it up so I'm approaching at a little angle and if it looks good just drop to neutral about 4-5' out and hope I coast in and someone can reach a dock pole.

Let inertia be your friend. After coming off speed and idling to nearly a stop...bump shifter to forward / back to neutral / coast and adjust steering wheel. Don't put it in gear again until you need to change direction. Be patient and give the boat a chance to turn.

Of course, if it's windy or you are in a current, you may have to speed things up a bit. Maybe a lot. :)

As stated several times above - generally slower is better. Exception to this is wind and current. Practice then practice some more.

My boat has an easy button. I just press that, and it docks.

My 13 y.o. daughter just got her operators certificate, what was I thinking??? Well, at least she will be easier to train than mom...

At least a 13 year old won't be tainted by previous car driving experience. A boat is nothing like a car.

Different world now. I had my boaters certificate at 12years old and was permitted to go out alone or pulling my sibling water sking as soon as received it. Parents trusted us. I would be all over that lake in the 1964 Mark Twain IO with 110 HP Mercury motor. My Dad sold that boat in 1987 for $1,000 more than he paid for it.

Back then a 12 year old could actually do things (like drive a boat) because they hadn't wasted half their life on a cell phone.

Back then a 12 year old could actually do things (like drive a boat) because they hadn't wasted half their life on a cell phone.

Yup, that’s why I was driving a VW Beetle at 12 in the farm field. Kids don’t know what they are missing now days. Imagination?? What’s that ??

I appreciate this thread...first time boat owner (she will be delivered June 29!) and scared silly to pull into/back out of our new resident slip. It's giving me anxiety! I appreciate all the tips here - thanks everyone!

I appreciate this thread...first time boat owner (she will be delivered June 29!) and scared silly to pull into/back out of our new resident slip. It's giving me anxiety! I appreciate all the tips here - thanks everyone!
You can do it. Slower is better and practice, practice, practice.

You can do it. Slower is better and practice, practice, practice.
I sure hope to get out there bright and early with the fishermen & spend hours pulling in & out. Took the USCG Boating Safety Class & learned about pivot points & such...will need to get the feel of her for sure while assessing wind & any current. I've driven boats before...but they were simple to maneuver (Ski Nautique.) This is just a giant floating cork! :) Thank you, Mike!!

You're not alone in stressing about docking a pontoon. Many of us felt the same way but after some practice, you'll be an old pro before you know it. IMO, the number on rule is never go faster than you want to hit something!

Back