Parti Kraft pontoon to Benninton

mellosunset

Reaction score
Hello,

We have recently moved from a Parti Kraft pontoon with a 75 Merc outboard to a Bennington SX 22 with a Yamaha 115 outboard. I have a few question and would appreciate some information.

1. With the Yamaha what is the max that I could safely run the RPM's in a normal day on a lake?

2. What is the best RPM's to run to get the best gas usage ?

3. I remember reading in other posts that a Yamaha 150 might have been a better performing motor. How much performance did I give up i buying the 115 HP.

Any and all ideas or information is appreciated ,

1.http://yamahaoutboards.com/f115  I firmly believe you can run WOT all day and not have a problem, max 6300 rpm. I cut my Suzuki no slack whatsoever.  New oil every year.  It is what they are made for.

2. Lots of variables here, when you get all standard gear on board you will have a base weight, so to speak, you will have to figure that out from this value, every pound affects this, scum on the pontoons affects this, bimini position, etc.  Less RPM less fuel used, the old adage "how fast can you afford to go".  To me gas mileage is irrelevant to having fun.

3. A lot.  More so loaded, but still a lot.  35 HP is considerable pushing a boat.  However, you gained 40 from what you had, appreciate what you have, no regrets for what you do not.  Plus... You have a new Bennington, don't get much better than that.  

I have the 22SSX with the 115 and have been playing around with different variables all summer.  I have 25" toons with lifting strakes which probably contribute to these results.  I'll bullet point a few consistent observatiobs:  

• My dealer told me that 3000 was the optimal for fuel use.  I have cruised around the lake at a constant 2000-3500 rpm for between 6-7 hrs and consistently use 1/8 - 1/4 of a tank. 
  • I have pulled two teenage boys on a tube for about 3 hrs with 2-3 people on board operating consistently between 4500-6000 rpms and used close to 1/2 tank.  
  • We recently spent a week on the water and I really pushed it with the boys on the tube with 4 adults on board and the handling and speed were pretty impressive.  We spent about 3-4 hrs at a time pushing a consistent 4500 - 6000 rpms and still didn't use much more than between 1/4 - 1/2 tank of gas.  

Basically, from my short period of time owning this boat I have found that the gas gauge moves very slow under 3500 rpms and moves very fast when I start consistently exceeding 4500 rpms. I had an opportunity to upgrade to the 150 and I stayed with the 115 and do not regret it.........yet.   

Hope this helps.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot put specific numbers on the S but a few years ago I researched this for my R after I bought the 115 and had the same regret.  Here is the thread from back then...

Yamaha publishes "performance bulletins" for various boat size/toon configuration/engine combinations. They typically show the best "knee in the curve" performance for mpg typically happens around 3000 rpm (closer to 3500 for the bigger motors).  My mileage/speed at rpm/performance tracks very closely to the performance bulletin.  

Check out the one closest to the configuration you are interested in:

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

Back