Performance Expectations

pdemarest

Reaction score
Hi - first time poster.  I'm looking at a 2006 Bennington 2575RL Tritoon with lifting strakes and a fuel-injected 5.0 I/O.  What sort of acceleration and top speed should I expect?  What is this combination like for towing a tube? 

We currently have a 23 foot Crownline cuddy cabin but a new grandson requires more space to spread out.  However, Grandpa (me) still wants to break 40 mph!

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure others will chime in but I'd say 40 is doable with that setup.

Not sure with that set-up. I had a 2012 2575QCW w/350 Mag, Bravo Three spinning a 4x4 24" prop set with ESP and the best I saw was 44.2mph GPS. I am told some of the older triples with the I/Os produced slightly higher m.p.h. numbers.

BIGKAHUNA's BOAT:

BigKahuna:

Boat Model --------- 2275RL

Model Year --------- 2004

Tube Option -------- 3 25" Tubes w/ Lifting Strakes

Power Option ----- 2008 Mercruiser 4.3L MPI I/O 220 HP

Prop Specs ---------- Merc Stainless Steel Mirage Plus 17P

Performance ------ 41MPH @ 4,500RPM GPS

Extra Notes: 2 Adults, 3/4 tank, (about 39 gallons) Bimini in boot, light chop, full complement of gear onboard.

Welcome to the forum, pdemarest........my 4.3L V6 fuel injected I/O pushes 40 mph. It has an excellent hole shot for skiing, tubing, and wake boarding. Your 2575RL is 3 feet longer and heavier but you have a larger V8 and I believe 260-300 HP. You should easily be in the 40+ range. Check out the Members Zone-Props and Power List your Specs here and you can look up boats that have a similar set up as yours and you can compare.........

How fast did the previous owner say the boat could go?  What does the seller tell you?  Will the seller, the dealer or the previous owner allow you to have a test drive to confirm its speed and its acceleration prior to your purchase?  I know it's tempting to speculate about your future boat's speed using information from Bennington owners with similar boats (and to be sure, I believe such information from others can be very valuable--in fact, I think the predictions above are probably very accurate, especially Daril's prediction, since he owns a nearly identical boat with a nearly identical engine) but I would still recommend test driving the boat prior to your purchase if that is possible.  

I had a similar problem to yours.  I knew what boat I wanted (a 2014 2375 GCW) and what engine I wanted (an F-150 HP Yamaha), and several people told me how fast they thought the boat would go.  But no matter what people told me, I still could not shake my uncertainty about its performance until I had a chance to test drive the boat myself.  Even though I had officially signed to purchase the boat, my inability to reassure myself about its speed and handling was very uncomfortable for me, and I knew I was going to have to live with this uncomfortable feeling from November though mid-April until I would take delivery of the boat in 2014.  So, my dealer, a wonderful man, recognizing my anxiety, allowed me to test drive an identical pontoon boat.  It only went 37 MPH (I had been used to 50 MPH on my SeaRay 210) but since I am now much older, I was very happy with its speed and its handling, and as a result, I was able to calm all my nervousness about my purchase.  Now I feel much more comfortable waiting for the delivery in mid-April.  I am soooo excited now, but not at all nervous any more.  

By the way, I think you are making a great choice in the boat you mentioned.  And my personal opinion is that you will break 40 MPH and that you will be very happy.  But had you told us the HP of the engine it would have allowed our predictions to be more accurate.  (I had a 5.0L Mercury I/O and it was only rated for for 210 HP back in 1996, but I know that some of the 5.0L engines are modified to reach much higher HP than mine was.)

David

Just remember if you get the boat and the performance isn't what you thought, it could just be that its propped wrong.  There are lots of stories on this forum about people having props that are flat out wrong for their boat.

Just something to tuck back in the back of your mind.

I've only had four props (spread over two motors), but each prop was noticeably different from the others.

I agree with Kaydano.  Years ago I had two different props for the same engine on the same boat with marked differences in acceleration and WOT performance.

Back