Pillowtop or Standard?

DougandSherry

Reaction score
After what seems like a million "builds", and thanks in great part to this forum, we have just about nailed everything we want on an R23SB. We're down to final choices.

I always thought "pillow top" meant diamonds, pressed or stitched, which hubby adamantly does NOT want. Today I discovered the no-diamond pillow top pictures...and I like it a lot. What are your thoughts? Standard or Pillowtop?

Thanks!

Based on your comments I think you may be confused regarding what pillow top furniture is. Pillow top is a design of the top cushion on all the benches. It is optional on the R series but I don't believe I've ever seen a build without it. A non-pillowtop cushion is what comes standard on the R series and below. It is essentially a "roll top" top cushion vs. a "pillow". The diamonds, either stitched or pressed, are an optional design element on the mid section of the backrests. This design is available on either the standard seats or the pillow top seats. Personally I don't like the pillow top design as dirt, dust, debris can get caught behind the pillow top crease. And it adds $1000+ to the build as an option. It does look very upscale though. I'll try to post examples of the standard R "roll top" seat vs. the "pillow top".

2017-R25-Swingback-Pontoon-Boat-0409.jpg

Optional Pillow top on an R series, with optional diamond stitching

I initially didn't want the diamond-stitched pattern in my interior. After looking at several boats and thinking it over it kind of grew on me so I included it in my order. I'm very happy I did as I really like it now and always get great compliments.

Its funny, I like the standard better in those two choices, more based on the colors than the stitching. Also, the standard has the windshield, that probably helps the overall appeal. I, would base it on usage, kids and dogs standard, old retired buddies, stitched. Cheaper to repair/replace in the case of kids, more likely to happen. old buddies, you break it you buy it.

Both are very nice. Can do without the windshield. Reminds me of our old bowrider.

I like the standard better. I find it easier to clean and a sportier look. Both are very nice looks whatever you choose.

Last edited:
I had the regular on my first, pillow top on my second, and diamond stitched pillow top on the third. I had to tow about 45 miles to the launch each time and cleaning bugs off was never an issue with any of them. I preferred the diamond stitched as it definitely adds a touch of class in my opinion.

If you want to talk from a durability stand, well if you happened to somehow get a tear on the small section that is stitched, it would help it not spread farther than the stitch out. Probably a moot point since most rips would happen on the seating area.

We did pillow top with no pressed or stitched pattern as custom build (sandstone with graphite inserts). Pics in my gallery.

Being OCD, I was initially concerned about pillow top too. Only 3 seasons now but the big creases behind the pillows are easy to wipe out and the wrinkles on the seat back fronts have never been an issue. We trailer and it sleeps in a climate controlled environment so not sure how much worse it would be out in the elements but that's what the mooring cover is for.
For us anyway, we love the look and if any more maintenance, well worth it for the look and comfort we got and would do exact same again.
All that said, the standard looks very sharp too so I think you'll love it either way!

As stated you can’t really go wrong any which way you choose. I think the pillow top looks nice, but on our build budget, we preferred to choose “G” sport furniture though, so we still upgraded. I too had the cleaning concern as my deciding factor between Sport and Pillow, but it sounds like it was a moot point.

Based on your comments I think you may be confused regarding what pillow top furniture is. Pillow top is a design of the top cushion on all the benches. It is optional on the R series but I don't believe I've ever seen a build without it. A non-pillowtop cushion is what comes standard on the R series and below. It is essentially a "roll top" top cushion vs. a "pillow". The diamonds, either stitched or pressed, are an optional design element on the mid section of the backrests. This design is available on either the standard seats or the pillow top seats. Personally I don't like the pillow top design as dirt, dust, debris can get caught behind the pillow top crease. And it adds $1000+ to the build as an option. It does look very upscale though. I'll try to post examples of the standard R "roll top" seat vs. the "pillow top".
You are right! I assumed pillowtop meant the seats were "cushier" all over"...if that is even a word! Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures for me.

I had the regular on my first, pillow top on my second, and diamond stitched pillow top on the third. I had to tow about 45 miles to the launch each time and cleaning bugs off was never an issue with any of them. I preferred the diamond stitched as it definitely adds a touch of class in my opinion.

If you want to talk from a durability stand, well if you happened to somehow get a tear on the small section that is stitched, it would help it not spread farther than the stitch out. Probably a moot point since most rips would happen on the seating area.
Great answer from a man who has experienced all three! So...I am presuming that you are the Derrick for whom PADS was named...

We did pillow top with no pressed or stitched pattern as custom build (sandstone with graphite inserts). Pics in my gallery.

Being OCD, I was initially concerned about pillow top too. Only 3 seasons now but the big creases behind the pillows are easy to wipe out and the wrinkles on the seat back fronts have never been an issue. We trailer and it sleeps in a climate controlled environment so not sure how much worse it would be out in the elements but that's what the mooring cover is for.
For us anyway, we love the look and if any more maintenance, well worth it for the look and comfort we got and would do exact same again.
All that said, the standard looks very sharp too so I think you'll love it either way!
I would LOVE to see your boat...but I don't know how to get to your gallery! (or anyone else's for that matter) Can you please help?? My husband is the OCD boat cleaner in my family, so I'll probably let him make the decision without a peep since y'all say we won't go wrong either way. I sure do want him to see a real photo before we order, though, instead of just the drawings on the Bennington interior build site. Thanks!

As stated you can’t really go wrong any which way you choose. I think the pillow top looks nice, but on our build budget, we preferred to choose “G” sport furniture though, so we still upgraded. I too had the cleaning concern as my deciding factor between Sport and Pillow, but it sounds like it was a moot point.
I love the look of the G sport furniture! I also love how you guys answer questions and how old threads answer questions I didn't even know we needed to ask.

Since you seem to have been on here for awhile...would it have been more appropriate for me to have asked the question about the upholstery under the Options and Upgrades heading? I haven't discerned the difference between that and the Pontoon Forum heading since people seem to ask questions on both. Thanks.

I would LOVE to see your boat...but I don't know how to get to your gallery! (or anyone else's for that matter) Can you please help?? My husband is the OCD boat cleaner in my family, so I'll probably let him make the decision without a peep since y'all say we won't go wrong either way. I sure do want him to see a real photo before we order, though, instead of just the drawings on the Bennington interior build site. Thanks!

Hey Doug and Sherry.......Click on the members name. Then click on their profile page. Look for the media tab. Click on it and you are in their gallery........

Hey Doug and Sherry.......Click on the members name. Then click on their profile page. Look for the media tab. Click on it and you are in their gallery........
Yay! Looked at yours...LOVE the font on the name of your boat! Now to go look at gnc1017's pillowtop. Thanks!

Dad-gum it! I was able to access your media immediately...but cannot see a media tab on the profiles of any other person who has responded to this thread. I'm obviously doing something incorrectly. Will keep trying.

I love the look of the G sport furniture! I also love how you guys answer questions and how old threads answer questions I didn't even know we needed to ask.

Since you seem to have been on here for awhile...would it have been more appropriate for me to have asked the question about the upholstery under the Options and Upgrades heading? I haven't discerned the difference between that and the Pontoon Forum heading since people seem to ask questions on both. Thanks.

It's kind of hit and miss .... LOL!! I usually go under the premis of anything strictly Pontoon" related, that's not covered under some of the other sections (Options and upgrades, Technical, DIY) goes in Pontoon. Typical NON pontoon banter goes under "Dock Talk". Don't worry, if a mod sees something in an odd place, we'll move it. Also, yes, PADS came from the very Derrick (Bulldogs Cadillac) you questioned. Luckily, many owners find out about PADS prior to ordering and typically are immune to it. Sadly, some find the forum AFTER ordering, and become afflicted in a short time. Some beat it and become immune, others, well it just empties their wallets ...... :D

It's kind of hit and miss .... LOL!! I usually go under the premis of anything strictly Pontoon" related, that's not covered under some of the other sections (Options and upgrades, Technical, DIY) goes in Pontoon. Typical NON pontoon banter goes under "Dock Talk". Don't worry, if a mod sees something in an odd place, we'll move it. Also, yes, PADS came from the very Derrick (Bulldogs Cadillac) you questioned. Luckily, many owners find out about PADS prior to ordering and typically are immune to it. Sadly, some find the forum AFTER ordering, and become afflicted in a short time. Some beat it and become immune, others, well it just empties their wallets ...... :D
Hey Semp....... Any idea why he can see the media tab/Gallery on some members and not others. He's trying to see GNC's pics of his seats.

Back