Playpen Cover Question

Tozyp

Reaction score
I picked up my new 2250 GSR w/ 150 Yamaha.

Just need some warmer weather here in Rhode Island.

I noticed when the playpen cover is snapped on with the bimini top down there seems to be quite a bit of tension on the front bimini rail mount.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. It looks like it would wear through very easily with all the pressure against it.

Maybe some type of cap over the mount might help?

Thanks!

Tom

Hmmm, my R has an opening there with velcro and a drawstring.

My sslx is like this too. I was wondering the same thing about it wearing, cutting through. I guess We'll have to wait and see. When I get home I'm going to check and see if there is some extra fabric on the back side of the cover similar to the wind screen area.

You could put a patch there on the back side. Denim, for example. Before it rips through, not after.

I would try adding a snap below that one. Unsnap it and see if that relieves the tension, if it does, just add a new snap. Steve

I have an older boat but mine also has an opening there w/a drawstring. You would think it would have at least extra material under there to pad it..............................Tozyp, have you ever boated on Pascoag Lake in Burrillville? My father in law has a lake home there...............

We have an 07 and there are only 2 openings per side for the bimini struts to be attached when the cover is on. Loosen your poles a little to take the stress off. People have had their covers modified to add another hole where the front strut bracket is. It's not made to have the cover on and the bimini open.

Neither my 09 or 12 had an opening there. I thought there was a little extra there, like where the windshield is. Anyway, it really shouldn't matter, if it's tight, it won't be moving or flapping, so no rubbing. It isn't for towing, so I think it should be alright. Not that my opinion means much! Haha you could also keep your eyes open for a little rubbery 'boot' type of thing to just put over it.

Yes Derrick the rubber boot is what came to mind when I first saw it.

Semper I think I'm going to order the patch and check it out. Thanks for sending the link along.

Thanks everyone for some great ideas!

Like several others, my older model has the cutout holes and drawstrings. Bennington apparently made a decision to remove the holes from the playpen covers. See their post here: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/679-maintaining-bimini-tops-and-playpen-covers/

"When the playpen cover is fully installed, Bennington "forces" the proper storage position of your bimini top by not offering forward strut cut-outs in the playpen cover. (An ah-ha moment!)"

I would play with adjusting the bimini support poles, and add the patch as suggested above.

I would not be happy if I had to lower the bimini to install the playpen cover. As the boat is longer than the dock I have to install the back snaps, then climb on the cover to snap before I install the #4 pole. With the bimini in the radar arch position, it is out of the way. In stowed position I would have to climb over it. I have found one advantage of an older boat.

Hey Bruce, it can be in the radar position, just not the full open position. It's the front bracket that is now covered.

My 2012 is like that too. Like Carl said, just shorten the nearest pole to relieve some tension.

Hey Bruce, it can be in the radar position, just not the full open position. It's the front bracket that is now covered.
You are right. I looked at his pics with the Bimini in trailer position

Back