Pontoon Security

I don't, it's insured and anything I could do to lock it to my dock could be cut by a pro thief that really wants it.

We keep locks on our lifts just to keep kids and vandals from lowering the boats. I have to agree...a thief we can't do much about except insure.

expending too much negativity on a matter that is less than 1% of where your concerns should be. Please never waste time on an issue that is so minimal. Live love and be happy, now that's worth 100% of your energy.

I do put a lock and chain on mine - just for vandals. Never locked my previous I/O bowrider until someone untied the dock lines to it. The only thing that kept it from floating away was the shore power cord to my bilge pump that wedged in the seat and held it there. We are not in a marina - just moored in front of the lake house.

Crazy someone would come onto your dock and do that. I can see directly down my dock from my bedroom window so trespassers beware. I always worry about my prop being up and visible for theft more than anything. There is always bow fisherman going by late at night and I'm always watching them to be sure.

I've seen prop locks, which are a special nut requiring a special tool to remove, but they are pricey. $70 range if I recall.

I always take my prop off for the winter (thanks Todd!), which is a simple precaution. Especially when you should grease the splines every year anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insurance is a backstop that would likely mean an early end to your boating season.

I will always take reasonable precautions to prevent that from happening.

Back