Poor Radio Reception

Admiral Scott

Reaction score
The factory installed radio in my 2013 STIX has very poor reception on the lake. The dealer looked at it and says that it works just fine but he would install an outside antenna for $65 if I wanted it. With the 7 year warranty, I think this should be covered. Any ideas on who I can call to get this resolved ?

Our stock sony in our last boat did that. We upgraded on the new boat so hopefully it is not an issue. I've heard the antenna wires are sometimes not ran we'll in the helm. Might be worth a peak but maybe your dealer already did if says all is good.

First of all, at the boat ramp or near the lake compare your boat radio to your car radio. Do you get all the stations you are looking for on both?

Next - does your boat have a std antenna or the amplified antenna under the helm in the storage compt.? If its amplified is it working? Is it completely plugged into the radio - mine worked loose twice on old radio, I now have it zip tied into the new radio.

If all that os the way it should be then on the lake you must be getting too far from the signals. If boat is getting fewer stations, its either the radio or antenna. I'd replace factory antenna with amplified type first, then go with external.

My radio reception was terrible so I looked under the helm and the antenna wire was coiled up.  I unraveled it and ran it around the inside of the helm and the reception improved quite a bit.  AM still isn't so great but a big improvement. 

Mine also was all coiled up and tied up with a zip tie ,I uncoiled it and spread it out under the helm ,worked much better 

The car radio reception is fine on all stations. I do have the antenna under the helm and after reading a few posts, I uncoiled it and strung it out as much as possible. This helped a little but it still fades in and out. I was hoping the dealer would go a little further to take care of the problem.

From my many years boating I have noticed that in general marine radio reception is garbage...even after trying aftermarket antennas.  A big reason why I love having XM radio in my Bennington.

I am curious to see all the people on here say how their antenna wire was coiled up and zip tied....I'll have to check mine out this year.

Not to hijack this thread but the problem I have with mine is the AM stations are all garbled with interference from the engine.  I know back in the day people said to use different spark plugs with resistors or something like that to fix that but having an I/O I didn't think that would be an issue.

From my many years boating I have noticed that in general marine radio reception is garbage...even after trying aftermarket antennas.  A big reason why I love having XM radio in my Bennington.

I am curious to see all the people on here say how their antenna wire was coiled up and zip tied....I'll have to check mine out this year.

Not to hijack this thread but the problem I have with mine is the AM stations are all garbled with interference from the engine.  I know back in the day people said to use different spark plugs with resistors or something like that to fix that but having an I/O I didn't think that would be an issue.
There also used to be a fix  called an in line choke that  was spliced into the power wire before the fuse .

I worked for MIckey Shorr on Woodward in the 60's 

There also used to be a fix  called an in line choke that  was spliced into the power wire before the fuse .

I worked for MIckey Shorr on Woodward in the 60's 
LOL!  I used to LOVE their commercials on the radio!  Some of them were funny as heck.

I got a call from the dealer a short time ago. They told me they contacted Bennington and Bennington will pay for the installation of an external antenna. They will have a radio guy come in, install the antenna and make sure everything is working correctly. We discussed location and decided to have it installed on the side of the helm by the rail. I'll let everyone know how it works and looks if the weather ever gets good enough to put the boat in the water. It's actually snowing right now !!!!!! Thanks for all of the input.

It's great the dealer came through.  Most seem to go above and beyond to satisfy the customer.  Now, before I get flamed here, I know there are those who do and those who don't.  Its just good that the Admiral's dealer came through.

Happy boating. 

LOL!  I used to LOVE their commercials on the radio!  Some of them were funny as heck.
Believe it or not I actually gave him ideas for some .

He was very approachable ,was at the store  every day .Great Guy .Worked there from 68-73 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great the dealer came through.  Most seem to go above and beyond to satisfy the customer.  Now, before I get flamed here, I know there are those who do and those who don't.  Its just good that the Admiral's dealer came through.

Happy boating. 
I would have to say most Do .

IMO Bennington as usual went above and beyond taking care of this.  What a great company!  

Last season and now this there have been a few posts about radio reception ,or the lack there of .

Just throwing this out there ,but is there a possibility the the Bimini Frame ,Arch or Tower itself can be used as an antenna ?

The only time I use my radio, is when I play my MP3s from my cell phone via bluetooth.
I agree ,but I also like to listen to Baseball .The reception is poor and I am less that 20 miles from the station tower .

I will be checking radio before pontoon leaves the dealer

Thank you for the input 

AM Radio is no longer what it once was 

Stations have cut power due to revenue

Most 50000 watt stations are running 10000 watts

FM is the only way to go

KDKA Radio at 50000 watts was heard coast to caost when I was a child

Today it is barely heard locally 

Different World

Do you remember the old transistor 9 volt radios which picked up distant stations at night

mlk_radio.jpg

Would walk everywhere listening to the music which changed the world !

Ahhhhhh ...... The good old days ...... :)

They were amazing times, of course like every generation we glorify them 

Truth is they were turbulent times which touched every aspect of life none more than music.

The unrest was necessary to allow change, while in high school we were tear gassed , and shot with rubber bullets.

But, I wouldn't change a thing.

I am a product of the time and environment which I grew up.

For many it was difficult , I fortunately was able to excel despite the adversity,

Back