Porpoising

mbhenry1955

Reaction score
I have a 2250 ESP with a Honda 250 mounted 1 hole up and turning a 14x21 Enertia prop. At WOT and trimmed up fairly high but still within my WOT RPM range my boat will porpoise.
Will raising the engine up 1 more hole help control the porpoising?

Thanks
Mike

Porpoising happens when you are over trimmed as far as I know. I don't think motor height will change it.

I'm with Carl on that. If I over-trim I can get the same effect.

Ditto....... too much trim would be the issue, raising the motor another hole might help your rpm/top end but won’t stop the porpoising.

I trim up til that starts, then just bump it back down a bit til you find your happy spot. Funny thing is, it seems I can eek out a little more speed with just a little porpoise.

I trim up til that starts, then just bump it back down a bit til you find your happy spot. Funny thing is, it seems I can eek out a little more speed with just a little porpoise.
I have found that out also!

Yep, me too. Then the "slow down" voice warning gets activated from the seat next to me.
You missed the mute button option on the order form didn't you.

HA, never works.... I've found when you try and activate the mute function it just gets louder.

Even if you had the mute button option ........the built in Mute Over ride button will kick in!!!

That's pretty much what I did to find the "sweet spot." After extensive testing in all sorts of conditions, I've found if I just trim it 3 bars up from the bottom position I can leave it there all day. Works fine whether I'm cruising, WOT or pulling a skier/wakeboarder or tuber. I'll bring it up of course if I'm beaching in shallow water. I don't see a big difference in fuel economy and I don't have to keep messing with the trim all day. It's takes some experimentation and every boat is different so it will take a few outings until you easily see where you should run it. I think we've all gone through this transition.

My boat is very sensitive to trim in the sense I can trim it up quite a bit before blowout. I noticed this fall with a light load and really trimming up I was going over 6k rpm. I want to say 6200ish. Something I’ll look at again when I put it back in the water soon.

It won't be until March before it gets wet. Might as well still be in MI!

It won't be until March before it gets wet. Might as well still be in MI!
Well you've got a lot of other things to take care of in the mean time.......Getting settled at your new job, preparing to move in to that beautiful home, tying up loose ends in Michigan, etc etc. You'll have plenty of time for boating later......

The seasons don't bother me. I enjoyed snow, just not months and months of it. There is nothing like that first decent winter snow before Christmas. I'll miss that. Maybe that will change though!

Back