Pre-purchase Inspection/Check List

kaydano

Reaction score
I posted this a while back with a LOT of help from other forum members. I basically just gathered the comments and put them all together in one list. Since a lot of guys seem to be picking up their new boats now, I thought reposting this would help. If you see anything missing, I will be glad to edit/add to this list so all the items stay together.

Before you leave to pick up the boat:

Call insurance company back to verify your coverage is "in the system".

Verify hitch ball size with dealer. Likely 2" ball.

Ask dealer about motor break-in period and warm-up period.

Find out your state's boat registration grace period

Verify price was as quoted and includes freight, prep, battery, prop, etc “ready to run”, plus tax/title/reg.

Things to bring with you:

Electrical adapter (truck to trailer)

Tongue Lock (may not be necessary)

Hitch Lock (may not be necessary)

Tie Downs

Tie Downs (Yes, I know that's listed twice. Don't even THINK about moving the boat without making sure it's tied well to the trailer.)

A car GPS or iPhone or Android app to GPS speed test.

Side view mirror extensions, if you need them.

Things to check while at the dealership:

Hull ID # - Check that you have the right boat if the dealer told you what the hull ID was in advance.

Trailer Serial Number

Motor Serial Number and Manufacture Date

Boat Inspection:

OPTIONS/UPGRADES: Bring your option list (from Build a Boat) and use it to check that all options ordered are on the boat.

BOAT : Check above options, check for defects, check railings for sharp edges, check pontoon tubes for slag, look for metal drill filings, open/close all storage areas, changing room, open/close all gates, check captain seat adjustments, tilt steering, electrical circuits and switches, stereo/speakers, raise/lower bimini, check LEDs, bow lights, mast light, horn, spare keys, 12 V socket. Check all electrical items and anything that moves.

TRAILER: Make sure turn signals and brake lights work, test surge brakes, verify bunks and guides tight, all bolts tight, carpet/glides secure and complete, wiring attached securely

MOTOR: Size/model correct, check manufacture date, prop correct size/pitch/brand

TEST RIDE: Verify depth graph works, power trim/tilt, check steering (full left, full right, smooth operation), verify top speed was what the dealer told you, check anything else used while boat is in motion, check all electrical items. Check for vibrations.

PAPERS: Make sure you leave with all documents and manuals, including those for the motor and trailer.

TOWING HOME - If you tow it without the cover on, make sure all removable items are removed so they don't blow out on the road. This includes the table and any seat cushions that come off. USE YOUR TIE-DOWNS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back