Prop Comparison - Enertia vs. Revolution 4

keithkz

Reaction score
After giving Propgods all of my information (see my signature block) their recommendation was narrowed down to two different props: the Enertia and Revolution 4. They said for my boat, 10-12% slip would be good but right now I'm getting 24% slip...pretty bad. I currently have a 15.5 x 17P ss prop on. Here's what they had to say:

Well, that prop is slipping badly.

You could take it to a prop shop and have them add a little cup to it. It might help.

Two props that I'd be curious on.

The Revolution 4, is a good all around 4 blade. Normally 4 blades are slower on top end, however, if your prop is slipping a lot, and you need more traction, it may actually outrun the 3 blade.

And the 3 blade Mercury Enertia. Its smaller diameter then your current prop, but it normally hooks up strong, and its a very fast prop.

Both props are $499 and require a $35 hub kit to make it fit a volvo.

I'm sure the Enertia will be faster on top end and that is what I am after however I don't want a dog out of the hole either. It is rare for me to pull tubers behind me right now but in a couple of years my twins will be old enough to start doing that. With my current set up now I am able to pull tubers and I have even been pulled on one ski without too much of an issue. The bottom line is that Propgods insist that either one of these props are going to give me noticeable improvements...I just don't want to be any worse out of the hole than I a now. They recommended a 14.5 x 17P prop (vs. the 15.5 x 17P I have on it now). I have seen many people on here rave about the Enertia but nothing about the Rev 4.

I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Keith

As you already know, I vote for the Enertia. Great holeshot and planes quickly and out of all the props I've tried, the one I have now got the best top speed.

For your stern drive application the Enertia may be the better option, as the Rev 4 likes elevated propshaft heights. Me, I'll take the Rev 4 all day long!

Well the guy at Progod's emailed me back this morning (I know....the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend!) and he is really recommending the Enertia....the 14.5 x 17P instead of the 14.75 x 16P because he said as long as my engine can turn the 17P one well enough it will be the faster of the two props. I currently am running a 15.5 x 17P but am running about 500-600 RPM's below the max RPM's for my engine. He also strongly believes this prop will improve my performance out of the hole AND at top speed vs. my current setup so I am excited about getting this.

Just ordered the prop (Entertia) and the hub kit he said was required to attach it to my Volvo stern drive. Anyone even know what those things are and how hard they are to attach? I guess I really don't understand what they're for. Must be a kind of adapter for it to work on my Volvo shaft. I'm hoping it's not too difficult to attach because I'm not an expert mechanic by any means.

Can't wait to test my boat out after I get it all on. Oh the wait...................

This guy does it in a matter of seconds. Makes it look easy.

Nice.....thanks.

Well that Enertia prop must be a popular prop because Propgods just emailed me and said I won't be getting it until late NEXT week because it has been on and off back order for a while now. Thought for sure I'd have it by today. *sigh* Have to wait another week to play. :(

What pitch did you end up ordering?

He wanted mt to keep the 17P. So it was between the 14.5 x 17P or the 14.75 x 16P and he recommended the 17P one cuz as long as my motor can turn the 17P good enough (RPM wise) my boat would go faster with that vs. the 16P. He insists I will see BOTH a better hole shot AND top end with this prop compared to what I am currently running.

I agree.

I am using the 14.75 - 16p Enertia and it works very well for me. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the 14.75 - 16p Enertia and it works very well for me. Gerry
Based on your information (225HP) I would agree with that prop for you based on what Propgods told me. He's just hoping my engine (280HP with the 5.7L Volvo) will turn the 17P. As I currently have a 15.5 x 17P with RPM's 4400-4500 @ WOT on an engine that has a max RPM of 5000, he's thinking the smaller diameter of the new prop (14.5) with the same pitch will be perfect in increasing my RPM's closer to max for that engine, thus faster top end speed..

I agree Keith, with your HP, why not ? You are running about 25% more HP then me. Those guys know what they're talking about. What do you expect with the new prop ? Maybe 5 plus more MPH possible ? Good luck.Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerry......not sure what you were using prior to the Enertia but did you see an improvement in both hole shot and top end speed with this new prop?

Don't remember what my dealer tried Keith. He had this set up when I picked it up. They told me they tried at least two other props and after checking them out delivered mine with the stainless Enertia. I asked them about a 4 blade and for my boat they were totally against it. I know I see a huge difference between my old 115Hp and this 225 ! :D Gerry

Propgod's just emailed me saying that my new Enertia prop is due to be delivered to me tomorrow. I will post updated performance numbers by this weekend. Cannot wait.

WOO HOO !!!

Propgod's just emailed me saying that my new Enertia prop is due to be delivered to me tomorrow. I will post updated performance numbers by this weekend. Cannot wait.
That sounds like fun!

Be sure to baseline your stats, 0-30mph time, rpm x1000 vs speeds (1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, etc) , and WOT rpm and speed, like the performance bulletins do, before you switch them. It's the only way to know.

That sounds like fun!

Be sure to baseline your stats, 0-30mph time, rpm x1000 vs speeds (1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, etc) , and WOT rpm and speed, like the performance bulletins do, before you switch them. It's the only way to know.
Great...more 'work'........I won't have fun at ALL doing that Tom! LOL!

Back