Prop nut

lakeliving

Reaction score
I noticed the other day my prop nut is not tight. The cotter pin is there but I'm thinking this should be tight as all the load is now being transferred to the pin. Thoughts?

I think the load is on the splines, and the nut and pin really just keep it on the shaft.

When the prop is installed, you turn the nut until tight, then back it off to align the pin hole.

Someone correct me if i am wrong though!

I make it tight and go tighter to get the cotter pin in.

I guess I'll run it as is. I'm not sure on the pitch of the thread so maybe it will not thread on enough for the next cotter pin hole. Thanks guys. If I ever post about needing a new prop from if coming off we'll know what happened!!

That happened to a friend on ours with his dads boat. He took a ride on the lake and stopped to anchor, threw the anchor and went to back up to set it and no reverse and no forward. He got a friend to tow him back to his dads house and put the boat back on the lift, AND, no prop. If the nut is loose, tighten it.

I noticed the other day my prop nut is not tight. The cotter pin is there but I'm thinking this should be tight as all the load is now being transferred to the pin. Thoughts?
Hmm, so your nut's loose you say, I'm not sure on the boards preferences on loose to tight nuts. I would think you wouldn't want it loose, I think you definitely want your nut's snug at least, leaning towards pretty tight nuts. But hey that's just my thoughts on your nut, I don't want to rub you the wrong way on the subject. So what ever makes you feel more comfortable. I definitely don't want anyone's nuts to fall off because of me. Okay. I'm done. Sorry.

Nice Derrick! And I would prefer you not rub me the wrong way here as well. I could always watch it to see if it is tight when it gets colder...loose when warmer. Just a thought as well. I'll post pictures of my findings...

That happened to a friend on ours with his dads boat. He took a ride on the lake and stopped to anchor, threw the anchor and went to back up to set it and no reverse and no forward. He got a friend to tow him back to his dads house and put the boat back on the lift, AND, no prop. If the nut is loose, tighten it.
You make a good point. I'll see if I can get it tighter.

You'll need a 2x4 to block the prop and an 1 1/16" socket.

This is a good Merc video on how to do it.

I see he torqued it to 55ftlbs and there was no cotter pin. So it appears to be a little different than Yamaha. 39ftlbs

Mercs have a tab washer that locks the nut.

Oops I was thinking you had a Merc :unsure:

Carl, As soon as I read about your loose nuts I just knew Derrick was jumping in somewhere.............

I see he torqued it to 55ftlbs and there was no cotter pin. So it appears to be a little different than Yamaha. 39ftlbs

He said tighten to "39.8" ft-lbs. That's "point eight"... Then he says to just tighten it some more if you can't get the cotter pin in. Ha ha ha ha! Yamaha engineers...

Last edited by a moderator:
My Volvo Penta manual says to torque them at like 70-80 ft lbs but when I was talking to Ken @ Propgods he said just torque it to 50 ft lbs so that's what I did.

Andy,hhmm, I think you will agree, that even after you get your prop secured, we still have a loose nut around this forum. :rolleyes: Gerry

Ha ha ha.

When we find the loose nut, how tight should we toque him?

toque-1-300x198.jpg

(This is a toque)

Last edited by a moderator:
OH Canada!!!! I looked in the Yamaha owners manual and it calls for torque to be 40.6 ft lbs. It also said to tighten additional if needed to allow alignment of pin. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow??

Haha! "how tight should we toque him" ! Leave it to you Southerners to come up with a line like that!! I don't think I have anything to worry about, if you came to Canada you probably wouldn't have the slightest clue where to rent a dog sled team from, not to mention which igloo is mine!!

Back