Prop Questions .

Jack M

Reaction score
2375 RCW Merc 150 .SPS 200 

1st prop was 15 X 15 Mercury Enertia . 5200 RPM 34 mph.

Today they tried a 15.3 X 14 Enertia  5400 RPM 31 mph .

Service rep said we should drop down an inch . I didn't ask, diameter or pitch .( didn't think of it at the time ) 

According to the Merc site I should be at 5800 rpm ,38- 40 mph 

Suggestions please .

Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think you would want to stay at a 15 diameter and try a 14 pitch. Just makes sense. Stay with the same prop model and just lower the pitch one. All the reading I've done about the subject would put you right at 5800 rpm. I could be wrong though, I'm less than one week into boat ownership!

Today was a 15.3 X 14 .

That is what was suggested by the Mercury rep .

As far as I am concerned the 15 X 15 performed better ,but no where near what  it should be .

Jack, that's weird that my boat with the 150 Honda and a 15 x 15p Enertia hits 6000 rpm @ 39 mph. Somethin's not right.

Jack, that's weird that my boat with the 150 Honda and a 15 x 15p Enertia hits 6000 rpm @ 39 mph. Somethin's not right.
You also have an R so the only weight difference ( besides me ) is the arch 

Don't take out the vent plugs. They're pretty much only for bass boats.

Is the motor mounted too low?

Mounted in the first hole . If it were raised it would cavitate even more .

I've tried the vents. No impact on top speed. They are meant to increase hole shot. Not the solution you are looking for.

You should try a 13 pitch... But like Carl said (I seem to say that a lot) something isn't right.

Are you sure you have a 150 and not a 115?

Sorry, don't answer that.

how much are you trimming up? I am mounted in 2nd hole and can barely trim up to the first tick mark before having to lay off the button. 

I hit 37mph during the breakin at around 5400 or 5500 rpm

I am mounted in the first hole .We have tried the trim in every increment until it cavitates .

What set up are you running ?

My RCW is a very heavy boat ,plus the weight of the arch doesn't help 

how much are you trimming up? I am mounted in 2nd hole and can barely trim up to the first tick mark before having to lay off the button. 

I hit 37mph during the breakin at around 5400 or 5500 rpm

Jack, is your Bimini open while you're running? Or, is the arch bare with the Bimini booted.

I only ask because I have found the top end performance of my boat is greatly effected by that big bunch of canvas.

I just checked the Bennington spec sheet .The listed weights have to be wrong 

Bimini is closed ,folded and booted . First month its was not even attached to the boat .

Jack, is your Bimini open while you're running? Or, is the arch bare with the Bimini booted.

I only ask because I have found the top end performance of my boat is greatly effected by that big bunch of canvas.

Back