Prop Removal

Jack65K

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha F250 and I need to remove the prop.  Can someone tell me the size socket that is needed to remove the propeller nut?

Thanks

Jack

My Yamaha took a 1 1/16" prop wrench

+1

That's the one I bought (that Link linked)

Good suggestion on the one that floats.  I took it off today with my socket and it worked well.

Jack

Are those floating plastic wrenches very durable?  Or do they just work a "few" times before cracking?

http://www.amazon.com/Floating-Prop-Wrench-GLM-Number/dp/B004AQS9HQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1456881948&sr=8-8&keywords=floating+marine+prop+wrench

Another choice.  Has a metal ring around the socket for durability.

Actually, I think I'd prefer an all metal version and just take my chances on dropping it.  After all, all the other stuff sinks (nut, washer, hub, PROP!), so why is it so important to trade off long term durability for flotation on the cheapest part of changing a prop? 

If you are clumsy, maybe you shouldn't be changing a $700 stainless prop in deep water in the first place...  At least you'll still have the floating wrench.  It won't hurt as bad when you hit yourself in the head with it after you drop your prop in the lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
How difficult would it be to tie a string around your wrist and the other end to the wrench? Just sayin'

Would it be easier to duct-tape the wrench to your hand???  You know, just like you do with your beer?

Would it be easier to duct-tape the wrench to your hand???  You know, just like you do with your beer?
Nah I tried that.  Damn wrench almost poked my eye out when I took a sip

Actually, the wrench does feel very solid

Would it be easier to duct-tape the wrench to your hand??? You know, just like you do with your beer?
I love that game! Duct tape a 40 to each hand.

Back