Prop success stories

I didn't notice it before, but the 14 pitch has a bigger diameter.  Not much, but that bigger diameter would slow the rpms down.  I wouldn't have guessed it to make that much of a difference though, so curious if this isn't the sole factor...

Before the change back .I doubled checked with Mercury .They told me I would get the best results  with the 15 X 15 .

He did mention that in the fall they are  releasing the Enertia Eco for pontoons .

Why they are waiting until fall makes no sense to me ,unless it's  for testing purposes 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there's a reason. Same thing happened with the Spitfires when they came out.

The skeptic in me says they are waiting for cooler weather to assist in the numbers. Just an opinion, nothing factual.

If they are testing in Wisconsin they aren't any warmer than Michigan. :lol:   

He did mention that in the fall they are  releasing the Enertia Eco for pontoons .

Why they are waiting until fall makes no sense to me ,unless it's  for testing purposes 
The higher pitch 19, 21, and 23 pitch Enertia Eco props are already available.  Taking a little longer to design, test and phase in the others.

I saw this back when it was posted and just had a chance to do some prop testing this last weekend.

Our boat (2013 2874QCW w/ 300 Verado) was delivered with a 15p Mercury Revolution 4 Stainless Prop. With Verados there really isn't too much point trying to prop your boat before you have 20 hours on the engine as they change a little as they break in. We waited a season as we didn't have time last year. The Mercury prop calculator recommends the prop that it was delivered with but I felt that I was missing out on the top end and maybe some fuel economy as the RPM's at WOT were in the low end of the acceptable range. WOT RPM's should be between 5800 and 6400 at which point you are hitting the rev limiter. I knew that I wanted to try an Enertia and my dealer was nice enough to bring in two with different pitches to let me try without having to purchase them. Here are the results of my testing.

I tested all three props on the same day using the same route in the same conditions. I tested at both WOT and exactly 4000RPM which is where I set the throttle when we are travelling out to our cabin from the marina. For me this is the best balance of fuel consumption vs time, the trip to the cabin is 13 miles. Our boat is equipped with a merc monitor so I can see real time fuel economy.

Rev4 15p (Original Prop)

(WOT RPM - 6010, GPS Speed - 38MPH) (4000RPM Speed - 23.2 MPH, Econ 2.3MPG)

Enertia 15p

(WOT RPM - 5900, GPS Speed - 39.5MPH) (4000RPM Speed - 23.7 MPH, Econ 2.4MPG)

Enertia 14p

(WOT RPM - 6150, GPS Speed - 40MPH) (4000RPM Speed - 24.2MPH, Econ 2.5MPG)

For us the extra 2mph or 5% speed at WOT won't really get used a lot but the 8% fuel economy at cruise should pay for the prop sometime in the third season. Our fuel bill last year was just over 3k. In the long run this process should save us a good chunk of change and give us a little more top end speed.

Unless your prop is completely wrong even getting the perfect one is about incremental gains. Best of luck if you decide to do some experimenting.

Why not try a 13p Enertia then?

Can't believe a 14p is giving you these results with a 300 verado when my 150 is dialed in well with a 15p...

Is this a gear ratio thing?

I think my RPM's are just right now. Dropping one more pitch would likely have me hitting the Rev limiter (6400) with a light load. My boat is heavy is my explanation for the prop. 28' and the HHP so heavier gauge pontoons plus all of the usual extras aboard. My engine is a bit lower in the water than is ideal but when mounted a hole higher it ventilates every time you turn even trimmed all the way down. A jack plate might allow you to fine tune a bit but really I don't think the reward would be worth the cost.

If Mercury would ever release the 350 as a full warranty engine rather than just as a "racing" model with a two year warranty it would likely be a better choice for a boat this size. The mechanic at my lake is Merc only so no Yamaha 350...

Back