Protect new boat from children

Their they go! The kids taking out the old-mans boat for a sunset cruise.

Guys, Thanks for all the great input. I don't see an overwhelming recommendation on a specific type of dock bumper so I'll go to a site like Overtons and try to buy something they call "heavy duty" and to make sure the entrance and sides of the slip are well protected. And as suggested, I'll put the kids through extensive training with the proviso that scratches we could live with, but dents they pay for.

Again, i want this to be fun for them,  but they will need to understand the responsibility of driving something this expensive.  I say expensive....but after reading how you guys have loaded up your boats, at $49k list, my boat feels like a stripped down model! 

I agree.......teach them how to properly use the boat in all facets and don't let them use it until they can demonstrate their ability to do so. It's not a toy and lives are at stake..........My wife grew up in a boating family and I actually learned from her how to handle/dock a boat. My father in law always had Mastercraft ski boats and he would offer us to take it out but we knew just how he was with it and never did. Now the jet skis were a different story.........

At the very LEAST, I would have them take a boaters safety course. Some states have an in line one, even if it's not "your" state, anything is better than nothing. Truthfully, if they haven't driven a boat before, docking would be the least of my concerns .... Hers a link to my states if interested .. http://www.boat-ed.com/pennsylvania/

Overtons, West Marine, Jamestown, are all good places to start. I'll find the link of the ones I wanted to get for our dock, but found out the park doesn't allow owner installed items.

I took one there last year .Very informative .

Since last year was our first ,I plan on taking it again as a refresher .

Thanks Semper. That looks perfect in preparation for the projected clumsiness and gender issues that I expect my new boat to be faced with!

I know....soooo politically incorrect!  

I'm looking forward to spending time on this forum. Like the BMW motorcycle forum, everybody seems to want to help and there doesn't seem to be anybody lurking, just waiting for the opportunity to label a post stupid!

Jack, 

Both have promise. I'll google to see if I can find a site where people critique them. Many times when I see something like this I'll check to see if Amazon sells them as there are usually loads of reviews on their items.

Overton's does the same thing. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

If you do find them somewhere ,please post the site .

I have only been able to find either at the manufacturer .

I can relate. While I would love a much higher HP pontoon, I selected my boat knowing that my adult kids (I prefer this over children) will be eventually using our summer home and boats on their own.

A 115 is enough to get back to the landing safely if the weather turns to crap (usually), but not enough to invoke temptation (I hope). They are 24 and 28 (this one married and a parent) and I try to offer up lots of instruction and tips for when the day comes that they are boating when I'm elsewhere, and problems will be minimized. They are all very respectful and responsible, including my son-in-law and his brothers and spouses.

Like every other challenge in parenting, we have to teach them what we can and hope for the best..... all while ignoring our past transgressions!

I think that's why we worry, we remember how WE WERE (are) ..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back