Protect new boat from children

OldFart123

Reaction score
My new Bennington is coming in March and I have a new boat dock and lift ready to accept it. My biggest fear is what happens when my children in their 30's start to park it after a day of fun. I can picture a clumsy or too speedy entrance into the dock slip, resulting in damage to my new pride an joy. I realize that lots of training and/or keeping them away from the drivers seat would help. Unfortunately,  I think eventually there will be the inevitable likelihood of alcohol or gender based clumsiness that will be impossible to avoid.  

So, any suggestions regarding the installation of the best dock cushion products to prevent this calamity would be appreciated. 

DON'T LET THEM USE IT ..... PERIOD !!!!! You've been warned ..... :)

If my family would share in my payments, insurance, dock fee, maintainence, and signs a damage waiver, I'll let them use it ........ Now I do let them drive it out on the lake if they like.

Last edited by a moderator:
On that note, I've had to tie up a brand new toon that someone let their family use, and it was only being held by one improperly tied cleat, as the other one had let loose and it was sitting 90 degrees to the dock. If I would have left it alone, it would have been floating in the middle of the lake. INEXPERIENCED boaters SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED to dock that toon.

Insist that they take a boater safety course first.

Damage is one thing. Death is another.

That's simple. If they respect you, they'll respect the things you cherish.

My fater-in law owned my truck before me. (I bought it from him after he had it for 2 years and only 1500 miles). When it was his, and I got the privilege to drive it, I took the utmost care. Once it was mine, the first thing I did what try a roast the tires, and see where the speed limiter was.

Some people shouldn't be behind the wheel

OUCH! That's gotta hurt. Unless I'm on the boat, no one drives it. PERIOD! My wife doesn't even drive it, but only bcause she doesn't want to.

A friend of mine would let me dock at at his house ,no charge ,same lake ,closer to my house . He didn't even want the keys .

But he has way too many people over at times .

I will  spend the dock money and keep a friend .

Guys, Thanks so much for the great thoughts.....but... 

It is also true that when my daughter and husband or son and girlfriend go to my lake house for a weekend,they are going to want to use the boat. I agree that I should tell them they can enjoy the lake without using the boat

but... it would be prudent for me to put the best cushions/bumpers where anyone, including myself, can enter the boat slip as safely as possible. Assuming the worst in this case would be prudent. Murphy's law rules!!!!

Also be sure to show them how to remove a playpen cover. The grab a corner and tug technique does not turn out well. One of my wife's cousins did that to the family's rl at the cabin a few years ago. Every time we go up we can use the boat, I'm also the only one who goes around and cleans it after each trip. I'm sure you already know which ones you'll have to train more than others. Might also want to remind them of trimming the motor up when coming in depending on water depth. Skegs and props hitting bottom is never good.

Carl,

When mounting the corner bumpers as shown in the link you sent, are they at the proper height for a Bennington entering the boat slip? In the picture they look like they are mounted to the top of the dock corner and I wondered if the bumper rail of the Bennington would even hit it. I appreciate all the input and it may look like I am over thinking this.... but now is the time for me to prepare for it's arrival! 

I don't use them because my pilings are on the inside of the slip for the roof and lift support. I've been meaning to buy bumpers for the pilings but keep putting it off. If you could post a pic of your slip it would be easier to help. This is our dock and you can see where the pilings are.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg

Wouldn't it also be dependent on Lake Levels ?

I don't know I am just curious myself .

They expect our lake to rise significantly this season.

Guys, Thanks so much for the great thoughts.....but... 

It is also true that when my daughter and husband or son and girlfriend go to my lake house for a weekend,they are going to want to use the boat. I agree that I should tell them they can enjoy the lake without using the boat

but... it would be prudent for me to put the best cushions/bumpers where anyone, including myself, can enter the boat slip as safely as possible. Assuming the worst in this case would be prudent. Murphy's law rules!!!!
All the cushions/bumpers won't fix carelessness.  I am blessed with great kids that have grown up and gotten married.  The only 3 rules with the boat - have fun, smoke the cigars in the water while floating and don't hurt yourself or anybody.  They also know that if something happens to the boat, let me know about, figure out how not to do it again.  My dad was so anal about his boat, i borrowed it once and never asked again.  It wasn't any fun if you are scared you might hurt it and then listen to the lecture.  Lake houses and boats are great gifts you can share with your kids and their families but it has to be fun for them or they won't show up.  Our rule with the kids was we trust you 100% until you prove us wrong.  It has worked for us.  Our daughter and husband take 5 couples to the lake for Memorial Day and it is spotless when they leave.  My toys won't be any fun if I didn't share them freely with the people I care about.

Very well said.

This is a great subject. My thoughts are that anything I have my kids are welcome to use within reason. I enjoy them using the cabin and all the toys associated with it. I didn't have that luxury growing up but I sure am glad to share it with them. They all know how I like to keep my "stuff" in top condition and they all respect that. In regards to the toys, all that I feel is necessary is for them to have a quick "check-ride" of all the do's and don'ts. After that, they are free to use them whenever they want.... unless I pull rank. However, if there is heavy partying going on, other arrangements are made. Case in point, the kids (all young, grown adults) have there friends joining them for the big celebrations over the 4th of July. There will be partying and a little bit of drinking I presume during the celebration. They have collectively, and without any direction from me, decided that they would rent a pontoon for that weekend instead of using mine and just beech it at the cabin. I certainly give them credit and appreciate their forethought and responsibility.

Dock Bumper.jpg

I installed these on my dock (dock is floating type with steel frame and wood deck) and they work well.  These can be mounted vertical on the steel posts of the dock and horizontal on the decking.  For my dock, they matchup well with my boat rub rail.

Jack

Kudos to those in my situation regarding sharing with adult kids. So, what I need to do is idiot-proof the dock as much as humanly possible. Jack, thanks for your suggestion. I do like the idea of the corner bumpers if I can insure the level of the lake, boat, and bumper are close. My lake has a 3-4 foot level change twice a day due to power production at a dam connecting to another lake. 

I would purchase and install good quality dock bunkers then take the kids out with you on the boat and teach them to dock, have them practice docking under your watchful eye and once experienced and adept then let them have the keys.  They will see how important your boat is to you and will take care

Back