Pulled The Trigger Boat Arrives in a Week

jman

Reaction score
After starting a thread a few weeks back regarding a test drive of an underpowered Bennington R series and being quite taken with the quality of the boat we decided to go new.

After hours of scouring within a 500 mile radius we actually found a boat at our local dealer that was just about as we would order it.

2015 Bennington 21 SLX

SPS pontoon system

Yamaha F115XB (this is a new model a bit lighter)

Seagrass flooring/full

Ski Bar

Sealed Strakes and Annodes (we will be in salt water)

G Series Helm Chair

Heavy Duty Rub Rail

We are coming from a 25 but thought the small boat still gave about the same seating room and would be a bit quicker given the 115 motor.

Dealer thinks the boat will hit the 40 mph mark? Thoughts? Am am hoping and guessing he is about right but will be disappointed if it falls short. The boat is rated for up to 150 but it is small with 3 tubes and strakes, so......we shall see.

I have enjoyed the forum as a one time poster and lurker. I hope to be able to contribute along the way.

Cheers.

Jamie and Jamie

I don't think you will be anywhere near 40. Sorry. But sounds like a nice boat regardless! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulldog I thought I saw a thread here were performance figures were posted. Do you know where that is? Thanks.

Strike that just saw performance bulletin 31.4 mph. That's with no bottom paint. Call into dealer.

Don't cheap out and get the 150. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't.

Hold the dealer to whatever she/he says. Get it In writing and do not take delivery unless it hits the marks you want. You want it to hit 40, get it in writing.You want the stereo to hit 153 db, get it in writing. You want a full tank of gas and a massage from Myrtle's Bridal Boutique and Laundromat? Get it in writing...

I think the sea trial is a waste of time as the PB will be accurate. The price difference MSRP on the build site (115 to 150) is $3408, we'll see what he comes up with. Now wondering if I should get a bigger boat.

Daughter in tears, wife LOVES layout/color/etc. of boat in deal.....how quickly things turn, lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jamie and Jamie

Getting our 20slx tomorrow with the new 115, when trying out boats last week we tried a 24' tri with a 150 and the 20slx tri with the 115 the 115 would hit 34mph and the 150 on the bigger boat hit 37mph, many say the 150 is a much better motor, maybe yes maybe no?? I can say that the improvements made to this motor, now called the 115b, makes it a good package on the 20slx, it has gotten great reviews and it's been said that hp of this motor is close to industry tolerance of 126hp, for what it's worth I think you will be happy with your choice. Check out the review on boats.com, the outboard expert.

Dealer thinks the boat will hit the 40 mph mark? Thoughts? Am am hoping and guessing he is about right but will be disappointed if it falls short. The boat is rated for up to 150 but it is small with 3 tubes and strakes, so......we shall see.
Nice boat.   If 40 mph is important, suspect you will need at least 150 HP based on my experience and data available on the internet. 

Getting our 20slx tomorrow with the new 115, when trying out boats last week we tried a 24' tri with a 150 and the 20slx tri with the 115 the 115 would hit 34mph and the 150 on the bigger boat hit 37mph, many say the 150 is a much better motor, maybe yes maybe no?? I can say that the improvements made to this motor, now called the 115b, makes it a good package on the 20slx, it has gotten great reviews and it's been said that hp of this motor is close to industry tolerance of 126hp, for what it's worth I think you will be happy with your choice. Check out the review on boats.com, the outboard expert.
It does have the new motor so I will do the research although your real world test got you 34mph. Is that with or without bottom paint? My deal was negotiated based on a certain performance mark and I'm sour on it now. I think that I will find fault somewhere with the 115 if I don't upgrade. If I bog down with 4 people on the boat and 2 kids on a tube I will without a doubt regret not going bigger.

I really appreciate the real world report. It is a real drag that I can't test drive something I am spending in the mid 30's for (after tax/bottom paint, etc.).

Thanks again.

jman,

No bottom paint on the 20slx, if we get out today I'll let you know how it does with 5 people on board, we had a 20sli with a 70hp yamaha it would do 21 with 3 people, the new boat with tritoons and the 115 is night and day difference, like others have said if that 40mph mark is important to you you will need more hp than the 115 offers, I'd do whatever you can to test some different set up's to see what you are happy with, you're spending a lot of money and you don't want to be disappointed a week or two after you buy.

In reality how often will you actually drive 40mph, I had mine up to 41mph this past weekend but that was just seeing how fast it would go. Normal cruising speed is 25-30. 

Mike... you make a good point. If I had a top speed of 34 I could live with it. My worry is a performance drop off loaded or pulling 2 kids on a tube with a few on board. In the link above there is a great write up on just this issue with someone doing a great comparison between a 115 and the 150 he switched to. That being said this new 115 is said to be lighter and perform more like a 2 stroke.

My old boat a 25 (actually 26) foot Harris with 2 25" tubes and no strakes pulled 2 kids on a tube at 27 mph with a 115 Johnson 2 stroke. I test drove a Benny 2575 with the same pontoon layout and the Yamaha 115 4 stroke (although not this new one of course) and it couldn't break 20 mph with just 4 on board. 

jman

I have a 21 sfx sps and a 150 , I hit right aroung 39 to 40, but the best part about the 150 is I have had 12 on board 8 adults and 4 kids and could still get 35 with no problem and  I also could pull a tube and still wip them if I wanted to with the same group on board. 

Not sure how the new 115 would do but almost positive the old 115 would drop off pretty fast on power.

I would go 150 and have no regrets

Just saying :)

jman

I have a 21 sfx sps and a 150 , I hit right aroung 39 to 40, but the best part about the 150 is I have had 12 on board 8 adults and 4 kids and could still get 35 with no problem and  I also could pull a tube and still wip them if I wanted to with the same group on board. 

Not sure how the new 115 would do but almost positive the old 115 would drop off pretty fast on power.

I would go 150 and have no regrets

Just saying :)
Thanks for this information. I think for the additional 3 grand or so I should probably to with the 150. MSRP on the upgrade is about $3408 dealer is knocking it down but then adding in $650 for doing the swap (even though current 115 is mounted but not fully rigged) so he's back to about $3500 plus there another $250 in tax. We negotiated intially on his claim of 40mph with the 115. I don't want to kill him but a fair amount of the joy has been sapped from the process.

I'll wait to see what his bottom line is I guess.

Thanks again.

Sounds like your salesman is Bernie Madoff. I'd go with the 150 though. We had a boat with a 115, for 3 months and sold it to get bigger boat/motor.

I agree, 20mph is too slow, it would drive me crazy. Would at least want it to break 30. I would pay the extra 3k and get the 150

I agree, 20mph is too slow, it would drive me crazy. Would at least want it to break 30. I would pay the extra 3k and get the 150
Its was the 2575 with the 115 that did 20. I am confident that the 21slx with the 115 will do 32'ish. I am not confident that it won't bog down under a load or pulling a couple of kids on a tube.

We may be close on the upgrade price although now he says he can't get the motor for maybe 2 weeks? Uggghhh!

Back