pulling tubes from my 2275 GCW

Four R's

Reaction score
just bought a twin eliptical Benny with 115 HP and wondering if I should have the dealer install a pylon to use when pulling tubers? If so, how much should I expect to pay? If I can do it myself, might I void any of the deck warranty? How much might I expect to pay for this on my own?

The only place you can get the parts is from a Bennington dealer and I don't know what the price is. I think the hole is already there for the ski pylon.

I was just going by another post a while back in which someone wanted to know what the hole was in their changing room. I believe Bennington has put covers on them. I have the old style ski-tow bar on our boat since it's older.

The bar is a $700 options, I did not get it on my 2550 rbr.

This is an old subject on this website. Tow bars are for pulling water skiers. Tubers put much, much more pressure on the rope, and some ski bars have collapsed under pressure when used with tubes pulling large people at fast speeds.

The ski harness that has the pulley where you attach the rope is really better for pulling tubers. And, they're cheap. They fit from eye bolt to eye bolt on the back of your boat.

But remember to not use a ski rope when pulling tubers. We had two neighbors break ropes on tubes, and they broadsided fixed piers. One girl was never the same. You must use either a rope designed for tubing or a very strong rope of 1/2" or larger in diameter.

Actually you can use the ski pylon or bar for pulling tunes, here is the topic where Bennington stated

+tube#entry4601

What model of Benny do you have, that will help in letting you know if it's a pylon or the tow bar. Granted you can also use the rope harness as mentioned, me, I always worried about it somehow rubbing on the motor in a hard whip.

This is an old subject on this website. Tow bars are for pulling water skiers. Tubers put much, much more pressure on the rope, and some ski bars have collapsed under pressure when used with tubes pulling large people at fast speeds.

The ski harness that has the pulley where you attach the rope is really better for pulling tubers. And, they're cheap. They fit from eye bolt to eye bolts on the back of your boat.

But remember to not use a ski rope when pulling tubers. We had two neighbors break ropes on tubes, and they broadsided fixed piers. One girl was never the same. You must use either a rope designed for tubing or a very strong rope of 1/2" or larger in diameter.
Do you mean the eyebolt at the end of each pontoon?

No, what he is talking about is if you look at the rear deck by the transom you will see the 2 u bolts. here is a pic I found on my tablet, once again, don't know who's it is!! Haha

I pull of my built in ski tow bar and it has pulled 4 people at speed no problem. I would yep up to the built in ski tow bar and be done with it.

I agree, I'm more the pylon route, especially with your model, don't want to ruin the great view off those rear loungers!

I use the stainless "U" bolts with a floating bridle. Never had a minute of trouble. I have pulled some big guys and doubles on tubes without any problem.

I use the stainless "U" bolts with a floating bridle. Never had a minute of trouble. I have pulled some big guys and doubles on tubes without any problem.
My boat is not her so I can't see it but I'm guessing that there are 2 u bolts connected directly to the side of the rear deck and that's what I attach my ropes to? Won't pull out? Or possibly damage the decking?

No, what he is talking about is if you look at the rear deck by the transom you will see the 2 u bolts. here is a pic I found on my tablet, once again, don't know who's it is!! Haha
I'm Four R's and I started this conversation! My first boat and learning as I go!Thanks

You lost me, I know you started this conversation. I was telling you that he wasn't talking about the holes on the end of the pontoon, they were talking about using the u bolts that you can see in the picture I posted of the transom area. Just to the right of that "Notice" decal.

Here is a link to Bennington's comments

http://club.benningt..._rope#entry7011

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2250 GCW with a 115 merc and the tow "ski" pylon. To reaffirm, Benninton approves the use of the pylon for tubing. The pylon keeps the rope high and out of the water. It has handled 3 & 4 person tubes, however my 115 has not. 115 hp is marginal for tubing with more than a single tube. We do have a well designed 2 rider tube which has wings on the side and strakes on the bottom which allow it more action at slower speeds. That is the only 2 person tube I found is any fun based on the limited speeds I can reach (stock step-up prop wise on the Merc 4 stroke). I wasn't expecting to do as much tubing as we have done, had I anticipated that I would have went with a 150hp which would have been perfect for my needs. Since I didn't I am at least glad I have the pylon as it makes for a very efficent towing set up and maximzies what speed I can get when towing

Dcmtruby - What tube (brand/model) are you talking about above?

I too have 115 disease...

1 person, Airhead Rip II steerable kneel down tube (find the newest model with improved knee padding design). 2 person, Connelley Orbiter 2. Be careful with this one, it can give a very wild ride at low 20mph speeds and if fully inflated will bounce several feet in the air off a wake. It has up-swept sides that lower drag and keep the tub moving side to side well, generating allot of action at a speed other tubes would give a boring ride with.

BTW, you can do a google or youtube search on those tubes to see actual vidoe of them in use and what type of ride they give. That was how I ended up finding them, you can tell by the on-water video what tubes move & give the best action.

Back