Question about slipping my pontoon year round

HawkTX

Reaction score
I will be taking delivery on my new Pontoon week after next. I have a dockominium and slip at Lake Texoma in North Texas. The water never freezes, but the temperatures do get below freezing in January and February. I've always had my jet boat, which I traded for this pontoon on a lift and the lift will not work for the pontoon so it has been sold. I noticed most of my slip neighbors just leave them in the water with the outboard engine down in the water except for a couple of them which have seemed to trimmed the outboard motor up for the winter season, which is confusing me. Since the water never freezes up at Lake Texoma is this ok? If so, besides adding fuel stabilizer what else do I need to do when I put her in the water in the next few weeks?

Another option is there is storage up the road I could pull her out if she really needs to be out of the water for those two months, but since nobody else seems to do that it sounds like a bit of a hassle. I also plan on using her for some fishing the rest of this month and maybe some in Jan and Feb if it's not too cold. Sorry if this is a newb question, but this is my first tritoon and my second boat I've ever owned.

Thanks!

With the outboard, when you trim it down all the water drains out of the block and water passages, so there is nothing else to do really, other than routine annual maintenance - oil, filters, grease, etc.

I'd still get a lift if I could ;-)

We have ours in a slip year round. No problems in the winter. We are slipped at Table Rock Lake in SW Missouri. The slip is covered and we do keep our mooring cover on. We fill the tank and stabalizer, tilt motor up, turn batteries off and remove all our vests, fishing stuff. We do a little clean up before the last coverup. This will be our third winter. Last year was long and cold but no problems.  Hope this helps.

handshake, stan

Hard for someone to steal the prop if it's tilted down in the water...

Welcome Hawk! We are also on Texoma, (Little Mineral Marina) You will not regret a lift get one ASAP or keep that boat on a trailer until you get the lift. Heck if it is 50 degrees and sunny any time Jan through April we are on the  the lake. (Correct and ample beverage and attire a must)

Do not leave that motor in the water, Zebra muscles will move in, The algae and mineral line on the toons will have that new boat looking old in a hurry,,, Oh did I say lift? Cover for the motor is a plus too, The wildlife (Birds) sure like that motor to rest on. 

We will be up there the weekend of the 19th if you want to say hello.

Best Regards

JR 

Welcome Hawk! We are also on Texoma, (Little Mineral Marina) You will not regret a lift get one ASAP or keep that boat on a trailer until you get the lift. Heck if it is 50 degrees and sunny any time Jan through April we are on the  the lake. (Correct and ample beverage and attire a must)

Do not leave that motor in the water, Zebra muscles will move in, The algae and mineral line on the toons will have that new boat looking old in a hurry,,, Oh did I say lift? Cover for the motor is a plus too, The wildlife (Birds) sure like that motor to rest on. 

We will be up there the weekend of the 19th if you want to say hello.

Best Regards

JR 
Hey Joe.  We are over at Grandpappy Point Marina.  We have a dockominium over there.  I received good news this morning that my HydroHoist lift that I had for my jet boat fits my Bennington and they will convert it to fit this week.  I was a little stressed out about that.

Very Nice, It would be great to see that new ship of yours, Give us a call the weekend of the 19th, lets get together for a beverage

817 575 7945

Best Regards

Joe

Joe,

I have stored your number in my cell.  Unfortunately, that weekend we will be in Fort Worth doing a little Pre-Christmas gathering with my wife's side of the family.  We will get together soon.  I didn't realize until I looked it up that your marina is just across from Grandpappy Point.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of your boat. What does EXP stand for? Seems they are really changing up the model designations

I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of your boat. What does EXP stand for? Seems they are really changing up the model designations
Not sure about the EXP, but here are the dealer photos of my exact boat.  Let me know what you think.

411969933.jpg

411969934.jpg

411969935.jpg

411969936.jpg

411969937.jpg

411969938.jpg

411969939.jpg

Looks awesome. I have the same floor and love it! I really like the rear configuration as well. Nice choice!

Good Luck! Nice looking boat.

Beautiful!!! Love the rear seats and the floor!

Sweet ride !!!

Thanks.  We picked her up and enjoyed a nice day on the water.  So ready for summer now!!!!

I would suggest keeping the boat covered every time you return from the lake including a good quality motor cover even if you are in a covered slip with or without a lift. This will keep you boat looking new.

Back