Question on trolling motor

thaigler

Reaction score
Our new Benny is on the way....should be in this week I was told.  I ordered the 22 SLX (not the fishing model) I did get the half gate and a pontoon trolling motor the dealer is going to install. I also ordered 2 bass seats which will be installed. I also ordered the extended alf deck. 

The big question is : Is there enough room up front for the 2 Bass seats and a trolling motor? This model does have a lot of extra space up front. If it turns out if there is not enough room up front of the boat for seats the dealer said there will be plenty in the back with the extended alf deck. I don't want to install up front if it is not safe or not enough room to be comfortable.

So second question; If the trolling motor is on the front of the boat, I would say it would be hard to control the pontoon boat if fishing from the rear of the boat. Can you fish out the back with trolling motor in the front?

There is not enough room in the back for a rear mount trolling motor, and we do not want that.

This is the trolling motor I have 

Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 Pontoon Boat Trolling Motor with Quick Release Bracket (68-lb Thrust, 48" Shaft) 24 volt

It is wireless and wired 

The boat will be used 90% for relaxing and only about 10% of the time for fishing. This is why I ordered this boat and not a fishing version. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a remote for the fishing motor.  The motor will push the boat backwards well at trolling speeds.  The only downside is you can not see which way the motor is facing.  Until you get used to it you might be all over the place.  If you are pulling the boat with the trolling motor you just have to keep looking to see what is in front of you. 

I used a 70lb thrust Minn Kota power drive on my 2275GSi (24v 60" shaft).  I installed the i-pilot which works great.  I fish anywhere I want on the boat.  Sometimes a pain because you can't see which way the motor is facing as said above, but not a big deal.    I highly recommend the i-pilot.  I didn't have the trolling motor door.  I would just lift the motor vertically when I wanted it stowed.  This way, it was not in the way.  I never needed to lay it down for transport.  I would just remove it when trailering.

Mark

I also have the I pilot, and when the dealer installed it, he made it so that I could remove the trolling motor by just removing a pin, if I want to.

This is the trolling motor I have 

Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 Pontoon Boat Trolling Motor with Quick Release Bracket (68-lb Thrust, 48" Shaft) 24 volt

It is wireless and wired 

I have the Minnkota I-Pilot, with hand held remote. I can control the bow mount trolling motor from anywhere on the boat. The hand held remote is the best thing I ever did, wouldn't have it any other way!

I also have it mounted with a "quick release plate", in case you need to remove it for any reason.

Being cheap here and may would never use it, but do you think  the 

MinnKota Pontoon 55 Hand Conrol Trolling Motor (55lbs Thrust, 52" Shaft)
Would move a 22FT SSLX with SPS?  

Nothing in strong winds or current.

I think it would serve it's purpose.

I plan to install a trolling motor on my 24ft pontoon, what are advantages and disadvantages of installation on bow compared to stern, I do plan to get the I pilot add on

Would be nice to have a bow thruster when docking in certain conditions. So, I'd mount it on the bow.

Back