Questions about a 2016 GSR 2250

mbhenry1955

Reaction score
We ordered a G22 with the Honda 150.

Does anyone have experience with this setup?

I'm starting to get mixed opinions about the 150.

Many are saying that we won't be happy because it's under powered!

Many say that we need at least a 200 and if we can afford it a 250.

We will be mostly cruising with the occasional tubing and skiing.

Sometimes it will be only 2 people and sometimes it wil 5 to 8.

What are your thoughts.

Mike

If you go with the 250, you will have a permanent grin on your face.  I have pulled wake boards up at half throttle with 8 people on board.  Quick on plane with plenty of reserve power.  Maybe overkill, but you should see the look on the faces of the captains and crew of v bottom boats when you pass them (if you want to)  My sweet spot for prop is a SWS 19p 3 blade.  I tried a 20p four blade, helped the hole shot a little, but hurt in the upper end.  A lot of guys say the 150 is the best use of money for performance.  I don't know, but I can hit 47mph in 1 to 2 foot chop on mine.  Good luck, you will enjoy your new ship!

All it takes to upgrade to that kind of HP is cubic dollars. A lot of cubic dollars. ;-)

Honda makes a very nice "250" .      B)

I email my dealer for prices and he has yet to respond to me.

That Yamaha SHO 250 not a bad choice either, jus saying

Sometimes there are budget constraints to consider as well so rather than just saying most horsepower let me give you n idea of what to expect from each motor. 

On an R series with no toon differentiation which I researched;

115hp = 28mph

150 = 38mph

200 = 41mph

250 = 42mph

Another factor is load, the more people on the boat slugs down the lower hp motors.  Take this from a guy that bought a 115 and wishes he had more hp not for top end but for heavy loads

The 150hp is the minimum you should put on a boat.  As Link said the big advantage with the increase of horsepower is when you load the boat.  The drag from the pontoons limit your top speed even with more power but the power keeps the speed from dropping as much when loaded.

We had a 22' 2 toon boat that started out with a 40hp.  16 mph light load 10mph loaded.  put a 90hp and then a 120hp.  Top speed was 18 mph but loaded was 16mph.  

You can always use less throttle when you put the big engine on it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd at least go 200 but if you can afford more go for it. My S with SPS and a 200 will do 43.8 with a light load. I think going 200 over the 150 was like 3 grand.

Get the biggest motor they offer. You will regret saving a few bucks as others have pointed out. Cry once and smile every time you drop the hammer. :D

Cheers, Steve

Top speed is nice if you need it, but I've always liked how larger engines can cruise at higher speeds without feeling / sounding strained.

We've decided to get the 250 but the dealer doesn'e know if he can make it happen?

He say that he has already been invoiced for the boat with the 150 from Bennington!

One would think that Bennington would go out of their way to make more money and upgrade me!

My dealer is calling them today to see if he can make it happer..

If you haven't paid.....I'm sure they will make it happen. It's not like they have already hung a 150 on the back.

Didn't know Bennington sold motors?

Wait, no...they don't.

So how could the marina have been invoiced. Maybe a specific rigging package but you should be good up to a 250 HP motor. Just stick with the same motor manufacturer as the rigging setup and you should be all good.

Dealer says that Bennington gets better pricing then he does!

Dealer says that if Honda has already ship the engine then to upgrade would be more then if engine was invoiced in the build!

Didn't say how much more.

I know the bigger engine during the build is $7600 more than my 150

Lakeliving,

I only have a small deposit on this boat!

I hate to cause any issue because he is the only Benny dealer near me!

I need to make it happen!

MH663,

They build it as a package, but I see no reason that they don't want to make more $$$$!

I recently went thru all of this. I understand exactly what you are dealing with. The boat I was looking at came with a 150. I could go up to a 200 per the specs and to do so was not as much as you would think. We ended up building one with a 250. My biggest, and probably everyone's biggest fear is being under powered. It will cause you great unhappiness when you throttle up and its not to your liking. I personally think people get too fixed on the top end speed. Its only a few mph in difference. The hole shot is what you will care most about when its all said and done. Not whether or not you can do 40 versus 38 on the lake. At the end of the day you will appreciate the 150 but you will always be thinking...I WISH I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE 250.

Give me a call to discuss if you like.

Buy the most horsepower you can afford now!!! You'll never get to upgrade for less money than when you purchase, trust me on that. I bought the standard 200 etec not the HO ($700-yes, I'm an idiot!) was $4200 to upgrade after the fact to an HO, $7200 to go to a 200G2. I have been pricing a new boat ever since!! Love my boat, only drops to 38mph with 8 adults..... still never enough! :(   

Back