Radio Reset when using dash mounted master reset...normal?!

MPW2000

Reaction score
I have a Bennington Pontoon. Just got a different one in fact. When I flip the master power switch on the dash, should it really reset the radio??? Drove me nuts on the 2011, same issue on the 2013....a friend had a 2002 with the same issue we learned while we were talking...I cannot believe this is really intentional with a dashboard mounted master switch. I called a dealer about the first boat I had, but they didn't have much to say. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
To my knowledge, yes, it's a MASTER switch which cuts all power to dash. That's why they call it a "MASTER", it controls anything connected to the helm. The only thing my master switch does not control, is my motor tilt & start. I actually wish it controlled those, but then again, if the switch did go bad, at least I can still start the motor to get back to dock. That's probably why it is not wired via the master.

To get around it, you would have to wire in the radio "backup" wire (typically yellow) to a constant power source.

Quick response, thanks. I somewhat assumed part of that eventually. I just can't believe the switch would be so easily accessible. Is the "spare hotwire" part of the harness do you know? In my 2011, I did find the radio schematics and saw a "yellow hotwire" they referenced , but it was already connected to one of the main molded connectors and there were no other available wires running back to the battery.

Thoughts?

I'd have to look under my helm, but there has to be a hot wire coming to the master switch "hot" side. You could tap into that wire.

It's possible, the "hot red" and the "yellow" are wired into the switched wire coming from the helm. You could clip the yellow and splice into the hot wire. Not hard to do at all.

JUST MAKE SURE to use good shrink tubing. I would do a western union splice, then shrink tube and you'll be fine.

I "personally" would not worry with soldering, as a good western union splice and good shrink tube will be plenty fine..

What model stereo do you have?

My 2013 kept radio stations when the main dash switch was turned off. We had the regular stock sony radio. The radio shouldn't loose all its power when the switch is flipped. Should be the same as your car unless you have a full battery switch near the rear.

The yellow wire needs a constant 12v for the memory.

My 2013 kept radio stations when the main dash switch was turned off. We had the regular stock sony radio. The radio shouldn't loose all its power when the switch is flipped. Should be the same as your car unless you have a full battery switch near the rear.

It must have been wired different, cause my helm MASTER kills all dash switches ........ I'm know the radio retains power when I flip accessory switch off, but not the master  .....

EDIT: The S series schematics do not show a MASTER helm switch, but the R&Q (but excludes G ??) do .....

I have a 2013 and I had to have the dealer come out and rewire the radio so that I didn't loose my presets every time I hit the master power switch. All it fixed now. I believe he ran the yellow wire to the hot Side of the master switch.

Nice job Carl, looks like you had the answer

Back