Rain soaked seats

kimbradford

Reaction score
We have really been enjoying our new 20SFX. The boat was docked without the cover and we got a couple of strong afternoon rain showers. The swivel chairs were snapped closed. The next day when we opened the chairs, the backs were totally soaked. When we squeezed them, water just poured out. Two problems, how can anyone sit on them like that and it can't be good for the seats. I worry about them getting moldy. It seems like boat seats shouldn't soak up water. Any suggestions?

Are they the "fishing" type seats? I doubt they will mould unless you do this constantly, and yes sitting on them might be a little mushy, but that's why they make the mooring cover. The boats are not waterproof (not even with the cover) but they have the cover for a reason. TRUST ME, I can cover my 22 RLI in 5 minutes. Keep it covered, and you won't have these issues. I'm not trying to be a smart a**, just sayin it how it is.

I'd put some towels on them and apply butt/back pressure until you get as much water out as you can. Then soak them with sun. It can't hurt. The longer they stay wet, the more likely mold will set in.

I would be more worried about the dash and the electronics (stereo, depth finder, speakers, etc). Like Semp said, you really need to put the cover on it if you want to keep the boat in good condition.

Keep it covered or this will be a recurring problem. We paid a lot for our boat and letting it get repeatedly soaked is not an option. :blink:

Cover it!!!! It takes me 5 mins also to cover it.

Back