READYING MY FRESHWATER SLX 20FT TRIPLE FOR THE SALT

cyanarella

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I recently relocated to Saco Maine in a neighborhood with a Marina at the end of the road right on the Saco river. I will still keep my pontoon up at the lake but I also know the pull to explore the saco river and will be too great to keep me out of it.  That being said I know I did not buy the salt water package and nor do I know what it includes. 

I would like to use it in this area and head into Portland and Kennebunkport harbors to explore a little. I may leave it overnight in the water once or twice. 

So my question is what should I be adding to the boat to make sure it is salt worthy in terms of anodes to pontoons and my 115 Yamaha. 

Any trailer adjustments needed?

This is her sitting up at the lake. 

Nice boat! The saltwater package includes sealed lifting strakes and performance foils and saltwater anodes. I guess you can get a certified aluminum welder to seal your strakes if you really wanted to do it. I have no idea what that would cost to do........

The only other thing I can think of is to flush the motor with clean water after use and give your boat a good washing/cleaning after you take it out.......Get that salty/brackish water off.......

If you have drum brakes the salt water will eat them alive as salt water will get trapped inside, not to mention the rest of the trailer.

I'm in Fort Walton Beach Florida and I have the saltwater package on my 2375GCW. It does have a few anodes on the engine mount and one on each pontoon. I'm not sure how much of a difference if any it will make. You'll be just fine if you are only going to be in the water overnight. Just give the boat a good wash down after you're done and don't forget to flush the engine as well as rinse the trailer off especially the brakes. If you are going to keep the boat in the water over night and have access to a water hose and fresh water, I would recommend trimming the engine out of the water and flushing the engine at the end of the day. It's especially nice to have the engine flushing without have to run the engine.

That's about the only bad thing about boating in saltwater. Gotta wash the boat every time you go out, but it's so worth it!

I've been to Fort Walton beach. Paradise compared to Iowa.

I've been to Fort Walton beach. Paradise compared to Iowa.
Really? Must be a special place, cuz Iowa is just plain... Just plain... Um....just...plain?

Every time I'm out on our grey water Rez I have to force myself to not think about all the cow and pig manure runoff that's in there, and how much ecoli the kids swallow each time we go out. Our immunity is probably so high Ebola wouldn't affect us though!

We're outta here when I retire.

Nice boat! The saltwater package includes sealed lifting strakes and performance foils and saltwater anodes. I guess you can get a certified aluminum welder to seal your strakes if you really wanted to do it. I have no idea what that would cost to do........

The only other thing I can think of is to flush the motor with clean water after use and give your boat a good washing/cleaning after you take it out.......Get that salty/brackish water off.......
Thanks for the info!

If you have drum brakes the salt water will eat them alive as salt water will get trapped inside, not to mention the rest of the trailer.
I bought the disk brakes on the tandem trailer so it will be easier to wash if.

I'm in Fort Walton Beach Florida and I have the saltwater package on my 2375GCW. It does have a few anodes on the engine mount and one on each pontoon. I'm not sure how much of a difference if any it will make. You'll be just fine if you are only going to be in the water overnight. Just give the boat a good wash down after you're done and don't forget to flush the engine as well as rinse the trailer off especially the brakes. If you are going to keep the boat in the water over night and have access to a water hose and fresh water, I would recommend trimming the engine out of the water and flushing the engine at the end of the day. It's especially nice to have the engine flushing without have to run the engine.

That's about the only bad thing about boating in saltwater. Gotta wash the boat every time you go out, but it's so worth it!
Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

I've got the salt water package with the SPS 25" Tri-toons and I can tell you the lifting strakes are not sealed. At least not on my boat. The appear to be welded about every 24" but the aft part of the strakes are open. 

I've got the salt water package with the SPS 25" Tri-toons and I can tell you the lifting strakes are not sealed. At least not on my boat. The appear to be welded about every 24" but the aft part of the strakes are open.
They ends should be "capped" on the ends and a welded together to make a triangle, then that piece is welded to your pontoon. This is my understanding of sealed.

I have the SPS with the salt water package and my strakes are sealed.  

Same here. You can see the sealed strakes in the photos below.

I must've got the SPS with Salt Water Package and without the sealed strakes...  :(  I guess there is a twin elliptical Saltwater performance package but it looks like I just got the fancy logo and the anode package on my SPS.  Oh well, I guess I should've read the fine print and done a little more research. Not that it would've changed my purchase as it was on the lot when I was looking and I didn't have to wait. I guess there are pros and cons to everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is the salt water series option that adds the anode and additional bracket, then you have to add the sealed strakes if you have anything other than a plain 25" toon setup. Kind of a bummer I know.

There is the salt water series option that adds the anode and additional bracket, then you have to add the sealed strakes if you have anything other than a plain 25" toon setup. Kind of a bummer I know.
Not too big of a deal. I would've gotten this boat regardless. But if I get another one I'll be sure to check if it has the sealed strake option. 

Back