Removing Boat From Trailer For Winter Storage

Benny&theJets

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]With our boat sitting on top of a Mid-America trailer that’s long enough to transport the USS Ronald Reagan, leaving the boat on the trailer while storing the boat inside for the winter was not an option.  With only 8” of building space to spare for the boat alone, the boat would have to get unloaded off the trailer, and the trailer would be relegated to life outdoors under a pile of tarps.  But how can you get a boat off of a trailer while backed inside a building without hurting people and wrecking stuff?  Here is what I did.  I built two of these four wheeled dollies with three jack screws and pontoon saddles.  First, I roll the rear dolly behind the trailer and lift the boat up about an inch.  Next, I use the green colored lifting gantry to lift the bow off the trailer with a big wide strap and chain hoist.  After I pull the trailer out, I roll dolly #2 under the bow and then raise the jack screws to take the weight off the lifting gantry.  With those steel wheels on a smooth floor, I can push the boat up along the wall for the winter.  I haven’t wrecked anything yet :lol:  D1.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]D2.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]D3.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]G1.jpg[/SIZE]

Nice job!

That's really awesome!  Nice job on those dollies.

Next step is to lower it all the way to the ground so you can invite friends over and sit and drink beer in it over the winter.  Some of the best times I've had in my neighbor's boat have been while it was stored in his garage during the winter.  I have photos of it being WAY over the nameplate capacity for people.  It would have sunk had it not been on concrete.  Be sure to tape noodles to the garage door opener before you have people over.  Ask me how I know.  The last thing you'd think of while on a boat out on the lake is whether you'd hit your head on a garage door opener, but it should be the first thing you think of when the boat is in a garage!

hahahaha great idea and advice!  I wouldn't want to put a bunch of dents in the door opening.

Glad you are able to enjoy boating year 'round :D

I love seeing quality home engineered and built products. Nice job!

Back