Removing Ski Pylon - 2011 2275 GCW

sunedog

Reaction score
Hi folks. Just bought a new-to me 2011 2275 GCW. The previous owners never removed the ski pylon and didn't know how. I have tried and I can't get it out. It turns only a small amount -- maybe 1/4" or less - if you apply a lot of force and then won't turn any more. I soaked it with PB Blaster (penetrating lubricant) overnight and it didn't help. Tried a strap wrench and no go. Tried gently prying where it penetrates the flange in the motor pod and no give. There is an index mark (line) on the receptacle in the floor and a dot on the pylon itself. I don't know what they signify, but they are lined up next to each other and still no go. I see a set screw near the top. Surely you don't have to take it apart to get it out.IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1052.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1051.JPG

Is it a quarter twist and then pull up? I don't have one but I thought that is how they come out.

Edit, I first read that as you could only get it a quarter turn. My bad.

Yes, I believe that it's a quarter turn and then a straight pull up. Keep in mind that it's pretty heavy but I can't imagine why it wouldn't come up.

I can't turn it anywhere near 1/4 turn. I can only move it, at most, 1/4 inch. Sounds like it is bound up and just needs more force turning it.

Do the index marks line up after you turn it and are ready to pull up? Or the opposite...meaning they indicate that it is fully locked in.

Haw! Not ready for that yet. But maybe this:
Smedley-Wrench-Cool-Tool-SmartVan.jpg

I have the ski pylon on my boat but have never used it. Perhaps I should try to raise it if it hasn't already frozen as well. Let us know if something works for you

I used a rubber adjustable oil filter wrench.

Looking at your second photo, could you get Sunedog's pipe wrench and turn it? Or not enough room ?

I am sunedog and I am the original poster. I have a big pipe wrench but I don't want to mar the pylon.

Tried an oil filter wrench and easily broke it.

Still wondering if the index marks line up when it is fully locked in or ready to pull out.

Should be able to get a thick rubber then a towel to use in between the pole and the wrench. No marking.

Should be able to get a thick rubber then a towel to use in between the pole and the wrench. No marking.
I may give that a try. I'm running out of options.

BTW, I did call the dealer and no one available knew the answer. Was hoping someone from Team Bennington would answer for me.

It could be that it is already free, and you just need to pull up? Can you see under the stern through the transom? Mine was a bugger to get out as well, after a few uses it freed up. 1/4 turn might be enough.

I have the same pylon and remove it after every use. I am going by memory as the boat is in storage. It sometimes is very tight and I will just use freshwater around the point where the pylon goes thru the deck. I believe that is where your problem is. There is a tip on the bottom and it matches up to hole in the aluminum plate. I would try WD40 or PB Blaster around the deck. Don't try to grab the pylon with a pipe wrench or channel locks you will mar the finish. Also the set screw won't help don't mess with it. What about soaking it and then a couple of those rubber jar openers?

SUCCESS! I resorted to pipe wrench. Tried to use piece of rubber and terrycloth towel to protect the finish but the jaws would not grip. Finally ended up using bare jaws on the pylon near the floor. The jaws left a barely perceptible mark that I can probably polish out. I can't see it from a standing position.

The secret was turning it clockwise (as viewed from above) which was not intuitive to me. I was usually applying force to "unscrew it." It turned perhaps 1/4 turn clockwise (EDIT: looks closer to about 30 degrees from my photo) which released the two "lugs" and then it pulled straight up. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Here is the pylon showing the "lugs."
ski pylon.JPG

Last edited:
The secret was turning it clockwise (as viewed from above) which was not intuitive to me. I was usually applying force to "unscrew it." It turned perhaps 1/4 turn clockwise which released the two "lugs" and then it pulled straight up.

Of course. Turning clockwise to loosen is counterintuitive.
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Good job figuring it out!

Sorry I couldn't answer your questions but it's been five months since I removed mine. Heck, I have a hard enough time remembering if I had breakfast.

Got one more picture over the weekend. Here is what the inside of the base looks like. You can clearly see where the lugs engage. And I know it was grody. Already cleaned up.
ski pylon base.JPG

Back