Rope Lighting

qapd

Reaction score
My boat is a 2010 2275 SFI

I am in the process of installing under bimini rope lighting. I see where the anchor light wires exit the bimini fram next to the helm. When the wires exit the frame, they have plug disconnects to remove the bimini, then the wires go into the playpen frame. I don't see where they exit the playpen frame and go into the helm.

My questions are:

• Would the wires go down thru the floor and back up under the helm?

• What switch is the under bimini lights normally attached to if ordered from Bennington?

• Will I need to add a new switch and breaker?

I think they go through the floor.

My factory lights work off of the anchor light switch. Then there is a push button switch mounted on the bottom of the bimini. Just above where the wires come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing you need to be careful of is the total wattage and therefore amperage on your circuit breakers. You can get higher power replacements at whatever marina happens to near you.

Post some pics when you're done (of the lights), if you don't mind!

One thing you need to be careful of is the total wattage and therefore amperage on your circuit breakers. You can get higher power replacements at whatever marina happens to near you.
Just remember, breakers should be sized according to wire size as well as load.

Just remember, breakers should be sized according to wire size as well as load.
Once again I need to thank you for pointing out something I forgot to mention.

Having said that, your smallest stock wiring should be good for 15 amps; but naturally it's unwise to take anything for granted.

Thanks for the information guys, I will post some pictures when completed. This will be a winter project.

Running wire under can be a hard job. The entire underside of the bennington is coverd by the aluminum splash shield. Your best bet is to run the wire down the side of the boat just under the rub rail. Thats where the factory runs wire. There is a few places you can pop up into the floor for power. The drivers helm is your best bet. You will have to run a Fish tape threw the floor and down into the underside of the pontoon and pull your wire back up into the helm. Yea its a suck job. Atlest it was when i pulled a bunch of wire including 2 Zero gauge wires back to the engine compartment.

I re-read your post. Working from the top down.

The wires that power the anchor light run threw the bimini.

Yes they pop out and re connect where the bimini higes. Then they pop back into the bimini and connect to the switch and then run into the quick disconnect that attaches to the rail. Thoes power wires run from the helm up into the quick disconnect.

Start by pulling or running some wire i would say 14 awg will work for a bunch of lights im guessing your running leds if not you should be.

Pull the wire from the helm down threw the floor. You will see where the wires and stearing cables come threw the floor and run to the back. Thats where the wires will come out. Pull the wire back to the section where its gonna pop up threw the floor.

Tip you can drill a hole in the rail where the wire comes in and where its comes out. You can use a vacume to suck a small piece os string or dental floss as a guide wire to pull your wire where you want it to pop out. Make sure you use rubber gromets where ever the wire comes in and out of the rail also makes sure you sand or smooth out the sides of the hole

Back