Round is a shape

Last year at this time ,my wife and I joined the local gym .I ended up gaining weight .

Everyone kept telling me muscle weighs more than fat . I dont care that is not why we joined .

We did take the winter off ,getting up early to beat the crowd when it is 15- 20 below with 4-6 inches of snow was to much like going to work .

We will most likely start again next week .

Actually muscle weighs the same ... A pound is a pound. Muscle is denser so it takes up less space. I lost 50 pounds last winter and didn't exercise at all. I just stopped eating junk food, especially pretzels, and ate low fat foods. Another key is to track EVERYTHING you eat and don't go over your calorie goal/day no matter what !!

I could eat ten sandwiches a day and stay under 1200 calories with the low fat stuff I have.

Oh yeah, CONGRATS on the weight loss. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. I averaged 1-2 pounds a week. Had some weeks no loss or a pound gain and some with 3-4 pound drop. I weighed myself same time, same day, one day a week, and did not check again till following week. Stepping on a scale each day is like watching water boil.

I joined a local gym a few months ago and it's been a rather pleasant experience. My clothes still fit about he same and I feel the same way I did before I joined. All in all I'm on the fence about the whole thing.

Now if I actually went there... Well, that's a different story. Where's my glass of wine and remote, I know I left it around here somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the weight loss! It's not easy! I lost 40 lbs. after I retired. I still ate the same stuff I normally eat but in moderation. Push yourself away from the table before you eat that 2nd piece of chicken or lasagna. When you buy that sub eat half now and the other half later or the next day. Don't deprive yourself of anything. Portion control! Cut out the sugary drinks! No soda, diet or otherwise. I don't even drink alcohol anymore. Drink lots of water and exercise regularly. Take a walk. Take the stairs. Keep moving. My wife and I joined American family fitness. She loves the treadmills, elliptical machines and the classes but I play racquetball about 4 times a week. It's fun and you can take out any aggression! Ha!

Same here Daril. Kathy and I joined the gym and we go every morning Monday - Friday.  After 2 months I am feeling better but have not seen much of a weight loss as I was continuing eating as I always did.  Now I am giving up drinking for Lent as I do every year and I always watch what I eat as well so I know from past experience the weight will start dropping

Stick w/it Link! The weight will come off..............

I am giving up........."Winter"...........for lent!

Mark you said you go "to" the gym .... but are you going "in" the gym ??? :D

I joined a local gym a few months ago and it's been a rather pleasant experience. My clothes still fit about he same and I feel the same way I did before I joined. All in all I'm on the fence about the whole thing.

Now if I actually went there... Well, that's a different story. Where's my glass of wine and remote, I know I left it around here somewhere.

HAAA HA HA HA!

THAT'S funny!

With spring coming soon I must get in shape so I don't embarrasse my Bennington Boat. If your boat looks good so must you. I keep telling my wife that round is a shape. She's not believing me so I must keep exercising. I have lost 18 lbs in 5 weeks. Come on spring hurry up and let's go boating!!!
Sorry, round is not a shape. A circle is a shape. Round is an adjective. Oh, and the wife is always right! Ha ha. I'm just joking around. Congrats on the weight loss. Just think how much faster your boat will go...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back