Rub Rail

kaydano

Reaction score
The heavy duty rub rail was not an option when I got my 2012 24SSL.  I think it wasn't offered at the time due to the combination of the extended deck with the tow bar option.  It is offered now, but unfortunately, our boat does not have it.

Is there a way to add an aftermarket rub rail of some kind?  The aluminum rail that I have is thin and has little strength.  There's not much reinforcement behind it in most places.  So, I'm just waiting for a small bump up against the dock to trash it up. 

Are there any options to protect it while it still looks new? 

Hmm, something like this would work,

Albany_Tug_boat_Elgin.jpg

Derrick that made me laugh out loud and made my day.

Haha! Can't protect it any better than that!

The "heavy duty" rub rail. Is that the one that has the hard rubber piece built into it or is it something else?

Yup, it has a Grey rubber all around it.

That's funny Derrick! I will keep that in mind.

Yeah that's the part I'm talking about. I think some are hard rubber, others are stainless.

A friend pulled up my anchor once and he just lightly bumped it into the rail, and it left a small dent. Hate to see what bumping into the dock would look like. I think it's an S Model thing.

My last RCW had the heavy duty rub rail, this one I went with stainless. I think the HD probably does a better actual job of protecting, and if you do bump something it doesn't dent, the stainless will dent some, but looks shiny!! Haha either are good.

Still curious if anyone has added one...

I don't see any information but this looks like an expensive option, just remembered I cannot paste links when on the PC. If you go to best pontoon parts and search rub rail a kit shows up. Sorry I cannot post the link.

Thanks Derrick!

Going back  to the photo, I agree with the tires!!! But those chains have go to go, I dont want any scratches on my RCWCP, so I am thinking VELCRO!!

I have the heavy duty rubrail and it will bend if hit hard enough. Ask me how I know.   :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
We got our 22-SSX off the floor at our dealer's boat show, but it did not come with an HD rub rail like we would have liked to have. Our dealer checked with Bennington about swapping it out for us, but it was BIG BUCKS to do that because the rail is all integrated as a single unit, so all the old would have needed to be taken totally off, then totally replaced with an all new rail. Bad news from a price standpoint if not already ordered that way from the factory. Instead, our dealer had some pvc-type rub rail as a Plan B option for us. They used black to match our black panel color, and mounted it with countersunk stainless screws about every foot. They heated it so it stayed tight even around the corner curves. It is centered on the silver railing that runs around the edge of the deck of the boat.  It looks serously awesome. It was only a few hundred dollars for us, installed. Our neighbors at the lake dodn't know it was fabricated by our dealer rather than being ordered that way from the factory -- so don't tell anyone. We wish it would have been originally ordered from Bennington with the HD rub rail ... but our dealer did good for us. It has really been a very wise investment ... believe us.

You happen to have any pics of it?

Yes please post pics I have been wanting to do that to mine. Just haven't found the right product for the right price

We're new kids to posting anything on the forum -- but we'll dig through some pics of our boat that clearly show our dealer's pvc rub rail they added to our Bennington for us, then try to get it posted so you can see ... please stay tuned for an update.

This is our first attempt at posting a pic, so here we go ... hopefully this gives you an idea of how our dealer's black pvc rub rail looks on our Bennington:

med_gallery_4362_493_12768.jpg

Nice pic! Nice boat!

Back