Rules of the road

Michiman

Reaction score
I happened to come across an article about understanding boat navigational lights that I thought might be helpful for some of our newer members. Of course, if you've taken your boater safety course you'll already know this stuff. However, from my experience on the water, many captains seemed to have skipped that important lesson.

http://www.boattest.com/view-news/5872_knowing-your-boat

I'd like to add observe and obey "no" or "minimum" wake zones too. There are some real meat heads that race through our area.

... There are some real meat heads that race through our area.
My observation is that a lot of folks boating in Florida (vs boaters who live in Florida) fit that characterization :cool:

I'd like to add observe and obey "no" or "minimum" wake zones too. There are some real meat heads that race through our area.
My biggest pet peeve. People who don't obey No Wake zones. Yelled at a few over the years.........Or should I say "educated" them.

This drives me crazy where we live... and those who continually do so just thumb their noses at our no wake zone buoys knowing there is no one to really enforce the no wake requirement.

I secretly wish we could submerge barrier landing cables (as are used to stop jet aircraft on aircraft carriers), and pop them up at each end when these meat heads come blasting through our back slough to help prevent their boats from beating the heck out of our docks, boats and shoreline.

Last edited:
I secretly wish we could submerge barrier landing cables (as are used to stop jet aircraft on aircraft carriers) said:
I like the way you think but not so sure you are really Tinkerbell any more

This drives me crazy where we live... and those who continually do so just thumb their noses at our no wake zone buoys knowing there is no one to really enforce the no wake requirement.

I secretly wish we could submerge barrier landing cables (as are used to stop jet aircraft on aircraft carriers), and pop them up at each end when these meat heads come blasting through our back slough to help prevent their boats from beating the heck out of our docks, boats and shoreline.
Nobody to enforce the law on the lake??? Somebody must patrol it. Who handles emergencies?

Nobody to enforce the law on the lake??? Somebody must patrol it. Who handles emergencies?
This has been a long-standing issue and debate.

When they have the monthly harbor commission meetings for our area on the upper Mississippi river, no wake zone enforcement is an ongoing hot topic.

Technically, the sheriff's department is responsible to enforce, but they are underfunded and understaffed.

So, they spend most of their time performing alcohol checks on the main channel, as we live in an area with three colleges (hence a large college-age population which enjoy drinking), and pontoon rentals are incredibly popular within that demographic.

Rarely (if ever) do they ever come into the back sloughs where the majority of private homes and docks reside, (but are immensely popular areas for skiers, tubing, fishing, and as a fast way to get around traffic on the main channel).

I understand that they are understaffed/funded but if safety is an issue not to mention your boats getting beat up........Make a call and get them out there!

I understand that they are understaffed/funded but if safety is an issue not to mention your boats getting beat up........Make a call and get them out there!

Many here have multiple times over... which is why the "no wake" enforcement issues often degrade to debate fests and wind up on EVERY monthly harbor commission meeting agenda.

So far, no bueno... :/

Idiots in boats who are clueless to the laws and rules are everywhere. Believe me, we have our share here too. But, we have quite a bit of law enforcement on the lake and they don't mess around. They do a pretty good job and I'm always glad to see them out and about.

I haven't seen any down here in FL yet by me.

In Ohio, I've seen county sheriff's, state watercraft officers, local fire, and U.S. corps of engineer personnel out and about. Although the COE were just handing out toys for the kiddies wearing PFDs. Most of the time I don't see any of them.

I spoke to soon. Saw an officer out on the water yesterday. He just waved.

Our lake is part of the MWCD (Muskingum Watershed Conservation District), a pseudo federal agency, not state, not federal. They have their own boat rangers that patrol the lakes (9) in the district. The state also brings a ranger to the lake on busy weekends for a larger presence, however, you still see the speeders in the no wake zones everyday! I am not sure why some people feel that the rules somehow do not apply to them???? A better experience is had by all if everyone is on the same page regarding rules and practice just plain old common courtesy.

Back