Sailing with Dog

morganbell

Reaction score
Is there anyone here who have tried to bring along their pets on board? I am planning to take my dog for a vacation next month, but I worry for his safety. This will be the first time that I am taking Copper with me, so I am looking for some tips from you guys. I am actually considering a dog vest, but I'm not that sure what else should I prepare for this trip. Thanks in advance.

Ours go out with us every trip, at least twice a week. Dog vests go on first thing, they are 25 and 40 lbs and like to swim off the boat when at anchor.

View media item 7719

I can't check the file that you have attached to this post.
Is there any other stuff that I should prepare aside from dog vest?

If the vest has a handle (and it should) make sure you also have a boat hook. If they go overboard, the hook makes it much easier to grab the vest handle in choppy water. We also keep a collapsable water dish on the boat.

If the vest has a handle (and it should) make sure you also have a boat hook. If they go overboard, the hook makes it much easier to grab the vest handle in choppy water. We also keep a collapsable water dish on the boat.
+1 on the hook. We also keep a stainless steel bowl on as well as "doggie bags" for trips to the shore. The image should be viewable, had the privacy setting wrong. Still getting used to the new forum software...

Bella goes with us every time we take the boat out. She loves being with us, although she doesn't like to get in the water. She can be persuaded to come out in the 3 -4" water, but she's a girl and doesn't want her hair wet. We also have a collapsible double dog dish for food and water.
Remember that they have the smaller bladders, so make time to take them to shore after a period of cruising. When you have to go, just assume that it's time for them, too. :)

Is there anyone here who have tried to bring along their pets on board? I am planning to take my dog for a vacation next month, but I worry for his safety. This will be the first time that I am taking Copper with me, so I am looking for some tips from you guys. I am actually considering a dog vest, but I'm not that sure what else should I prepare for this trip. Thanks in advance.

Morganbell - for your "dog vest" href, did you have to insert the html code or does the forum software have this function?

Thanks!

When you have to go, just assume that it's time for them, too. :)

Can't seem to get Sally to pee while she's floating like we do, she always has to go to shore.

One thing to add would be a small first aid kit for the dog, if they tear a nail or get into something they shouldn’t have you have something to start the process. Remember that comes from the owner of 3 idiots...... oh I meant Labs!! Like having 3 little kids besides the real ones........except I think they listen better!

I cant wait to post pics of my Bulldogs on the boat!

I cant wait to post pics of my Bulldogs on the boat!

Look at Bulldogs Cadillac profile, he has some great pictures of his Bulldogs. Unfortunately our community mourned the loss of one of them not too long ago

Look at Bulldogs Cadillac profile, he has some great pictures of his Bulldogs. Unfortunately our community mourned the loss of one of them not too long ago
woot woot, on my way!

I thought they were Ridgebacks.

Here is his post in the "What is the menaing behind your username" thread.
Well, I was going to be just Bulldog, but when I was first signing up there was a glitch and then it said I couldn't use that because it was already used. I always liked Bulldogs and their original bred fearlessness of taking on a bull!! They used to just grab onto a bulls snout and lock on while being tossed around. As much as I don't agree with the action if bullbaiting, it reminded me of me and my sometimes negative aspect of not being able to just let somethings go. I was going to get one as a dog years ago, but when I did more research into their health issues, I found that it was better to be around a vet that had some more experience with the bulldog breed. I added Cadillac well, because I drive a Cadillac. My email still ends in Z24 because that was the vehicle I had at the time I made it. ow I own 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

Nixon never misses a boat trip with us over the last 9 years. If your dog likes to swim, make sure you bring his/her toys for the fun!F69FA3B0-492A-4913-B9F0-0614380DFEEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Back