Salt water boat

Poppa Bear

Reaction score
I live in a marina in Florida that has dry storage capability but will not lift pontoons. Therefore I must keep it in the water. That means oblative bottom paint and I don't know if it means having the toons scraped or brushed monthly or not. Does anyone have a saltwater boat in the water? If so how do you handle it. About to buy a 22ssx w/ sps or twin elips w/ 115 or 150 hp. Our use is a go to lunch boat in charlottes harbor and fishing the flat.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help!

This is a great question, and though I don't know any answers, I do know there are quite a few different types of Aluminum hulls that live in salt water. I haven't seen many threads about ablatives on Bennington pontoons. If it were me, I would let this thread develop and also go through some threads where the coastal boaters hang out. Most notably, thehulltruth forum.

My self as a Florida boater. I would never have a boat without a trailer. That way unless it's being used its out of the water. Plus I like to go to different lakes as well. One thing I'll say for sure is to keep a close eye on your zinc anodes and replace them when there about half eaten away.

I just put my new Bennington 22ssx in the salt two weeks ago. I had it bottom painted, but I also odreded it for the salt. Solid keel and welded the whole tube. Zinc's on the boat also.

The boat I had last year was Aluminum and bottom painted with no problems. I waxed everything above the water line just to help the salt rinse off.

I do not plan on taking it out till the end of the season unles we get a storm.

We wil see how it holds up this year.

We've kept our 2012 Bennington in salt/brackish water, tied to a floating dock, here on the Nature Coast in Florida for almost 3 years. We do not have a trailer. Out on the boat yesterday we were looking at the painted pontoons and they still look pretty good. In a few weeks we will have the dealer come pick it up for service. At that time we will have them inspect the logs to see if it's time to repaint them. Our Bennington is a 20SL salt water series pontoon.

Looney Toon please follow up with a post after the boat comes out as I am curious as to how well the boat takes the salt water as I am just starting negotiations to purchase a winter home in the Cocoa Beach area to become a snowbird

Back