Screw hole repair

PeteG

Reaction score
I have discovered in the compartment under my console a screw hole (in the deck near the compartment door) that is allowing water to come thru when traveling at higher speeds. It's a brand new 22' SX. Any suggestions on how to fix this myself or will my dealer need to fix it?  Thanks!

I'd ask dealer to fix it, but depending on how busy they are, that may not happen quickly. How bigs the hole? If small, I'd fill it with silicone from underneath (if you can get acccess t the underside). That's what was used on my other toon to seal around the hole from the table mount. 

Thank you for the help!  I don't suppose there is anyway I can fix it without going under the boat, is there?  The hole is about an eighth of an inch in diameter, so fairly small.  

You could probably shoot silicone in from above. Go at a slight angle so it "grabs" the sides of hole and doesn't just drop out the bottom of the hole. At a 1/8" it won't take much to fill it.  I would still check with dealer being it's a new boat. What type of flooring is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the flooring is wood, which is why I'm most concerned.  To do it right, I would think that I should go underneath to make sure it's all sealed properly.

It's marine grade plywood. Its fine around water. They actually use it submerged in retention ponds around here.  Just fill it from the top to keep the water out, then once the water warms up, and you can go underneath to finish it off. 

I talked to my dealer and they said the same thing.  Thanks again for all your help!

That's what we're here for !!!!

maverick-tactical-thumbs-up.jpg

If it's just an 1/8" hole just put a SS screw in it with a dab of silicone on it. It'll seal the hole and stay in place.

Back