Sea Grass Flooring Versus Designer Vinyl ?

Just got our Benny with the Designer Vinyl. It's amazing. So easy to clean, feels great as it has a bit of cushion. Incredibly satisfied. I'm sure Seagrass is awesome too. Both options are superior to carpet IMO.

DV +1

I liked my aquateak.

I like seagrass but wouldn't sand or crumbs get stuck in the weave?
Love my Seagrass and never had this problem. I use a small leaf blower once in awhile.

I have more sand get on my boat than probably anyone on this forum. Seagrass does great with it. I'd pay double the regular price if I could magically replace the carpeted area of my boat with it. Worst problem is around the edges of furniture but that's a problem no matter what you use. 

I don't have that issue at the base of my seats.

IMG_20150316_095116854_HDR_zpsqsn5zxpn.jpg

IMG_20150316_095210708_HDR_zpsm0xllq3i.jpg

I have more sand get on my boat than probably anyone on this forum. Seagrass does great with it. I'd pay double the regular price if I could magically replace the carpeted area of my boat with it. Worst problem is around the edges of furniture but that's a problem no matter what you use. 
Sounds like people love many different options.  Although I do think that both the seagrass and the designer vinyl are definitely better looking and adds a lot of class to the boat I have the mocha palm carpet and I actually like it, soft on the feet always looks clean.

bcpnick, I know your dealer is far away but I would think a floor covering store would be able to help you out, he could probably do it without taking your boat out of the water, might be worth a phone call

I don't have that issue at the base of my seats.
You would if you beached on Lake Powell for 5 days with sandy dogs running on and off the boat and storms rolling through making it all sticky! ;)

That's why I say I probably get more sand on board than just about anyone here. 

Sounds like people love many different options.  Although I do think that both the seagrass and the designer vinyl are definitely better looking and adds a lot of class to the boat I have the mocha palm carpet and I actually like it, soft on the feet always looks clean.

bcpnick, I know your dealer is far away but I would think a floor covering store would be able to help you out, he could probably do it without taking your boat out of the water, might be worth a phone call
I only hate carpet for my use camping on the beach with dogs. If I used a dock or even just did day trips mostly, it would be fine. I've thought a lot about swapping out my carpet, but no matter what all of the seats would have to be removed and all the aluminum cap around the outside of the deck. And the helm too! I'd have to basically tear the boat down to the deck. There's no way around that becoming really expensive or time consuming. I may revisit and get actual quotes in a year or two though. Oh, and my boat doesn't live in the water. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You would if you beached on Lake Powell for 5 days with sandy dogs running on and off the boat and storms rolling through making it all sticky! ;)

That's why I say I probably get more sand on board than just about anyone here. 

I only hate carpet for my use camping on the beach with dogs. If I used a dock or even just did day trips mostly, it would be fine. I've thought a lot about swapping out my carpet, but no matter what all of the seats would have to be removed and all the aluminum cap around the outside of the deck. And the helm too! I'd have to basically tear the boat down to the deck. There's no way around that becoming really expensive or time consuming. I may revisit and get actual quotes in a year or two though. Oh, and my boat doesn't live in the water. 
I was a manufacturers rep for carpet prior to going to AT&T and I think a good carpet installer could cut it at the base of the seats and install the seagrass just on the inside and thru the front bow and stern if needed.  A good installer would make the finish where it meets the seats look good, not hacked.  Leave the carpet under the seats and on the sides, no one would even notice

We have the Tuff-Poly floor in the 22'.  During Canada week, it got really dirty.  It cleaned easily.  It made me realize how much dirt is in the carpet on the big boat.  Marine carpet does a great job of not looking dirty but imagine how much dirt is in the carpet.  

Back