Sealed Strakes, Just at Ends or Along Weld Line as Well?

jman

Reaction score
I am a little unclear on this. I know an unsealed strake has the hole at the end but it seems to me that when I looked at a "sealed" strake that is was still just atached to the pontoon in a few places/spot welded. That is to say that water can still get into the strake but barnicles, etc. can not get in (as they would be able to if there hole were there).

Thanks again.

Jamie

The strake has 3 sides that are sealed and the assembly is welded to the tube.

No, the strake is a sealed unit, there is just a small gap between the strake and the toon.
Sorry not getting it. If there is a small gap between the toon and the strake (that is to say that the weld does not run the whole of the strake) water get in? Or not?

Think of the strake as another mini pontoon (sealed), and welded to your bigger pontoon.

Since my strakes sit mostly underwater at rest, I would think they'd add some bouyancy to the boat too.

So for those with unsealed strakes, is the only unsealed part the hole at the end? What would it take to convert unsealed to sealed after the fact?

Unsealed strake = 2 sided,

Sealed strake = 3 sided.

I have the unsealed strakes from the factory' they are stitch welded to the toon. the nose piece of the strake however is solid welded together to the toon. the back end of the strakes are open

What would one do to an unsealed strake, if anything, for a salt water application? If the unsealed is 2 sided could you just plug the end. Water would still get inside but would also drain from the bottom. In either application, sealed or not, the is still aluminum that does not have anti fouling treatment as with even the sealed staked water gets to the toon behind the strake.

I would think bennington should just sell sealed strake as the upgrade is only, I think, $300. Helps resale especially as pontoons get more popular for salt water use.

Going with the boat with the sealed strakes. Bennington rep. advised against sealing non sealed strakes. Sealed are indeed 3 sided (that is to say they are like a mini pontoon welded to the boat) non sealed are 2 sided, if you put your finger in the rear hole in the strake you will feel the side of the pontoon itself.

Thanks for the input. Should have boat in a week or so as we are waiting on the 25" Yamaha 150 (was rigged with 115 but decided to upgrade).

Jamie

Back