SeaStar Power Steering Question

kaydano

Reaction score
I emailed 6 or 7 questions to SeaStar and the answers were just what I hoped to hear. I don't think this will be a difficult DIY project. Especially since on the SSL I can pretty much touch every section of the existing steering cable without removing anything (you can see it through the ladder storage, and the S is open next to the rub rail all the way up to the helm).

But, just in case I decide to install the power assist someday, I want to set it up now to make that as easy as possible.

So, can the power steering pump go under the helm? Or does it have to be back closer to the motor? I could put it in the changing room by the batteries, but those are on the opposite side of the boat from my steering cable.

If the power assist pump has to be close to the motor, I will have to order longer hoses and snake them over to the battery side of the boat. If it can go under the helm, I would get shorter hoses and the install would be a lot more straight forward.

Anyone have a power pump under the helm? Wondering if voltage drop from the batteries to the helm is an issue due to the distance. Heavy cables would overcome that, but I'd need to know that up front.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mounted ours under the helm and only had to buy 2 short hoses since I already have Sea Star. No problem with voltage and my battery is in the changing room.

Thanks Carl. I was hoping that would be the answer!

Bama - I don't know if you can see it in my avatar, but I don't have a starboard lounger. That's the problem. Pump would have to be on the port side.

Mine is under the seat just ahead of the helm. In my opinion a very poor location, under the helm would make more sense to me. As a matter of fact, my next boat (lol) I will try to suggest it go under the helm.

My factory power steering is under the helm. That's where the last one was, I'm sure it's where the new one will be as well.

The helm would definitely be the easiest location for me. I can easily measure the length of my existing steering cable to order the new hoses. But, if I had to put the power pump under the port lounger, I'd have to figure out NOW how to route those hoses before I ordered them, and then try to estimate that length. Odds of me installing the power pump are slim, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't kicking myself down the road.

You'll do it. Then you will wonder how you ever lived without it!! I love mine! Now the only work I have to do on the boat is dragging the cooler out to get another drink!! :D ! A soda of course.

Go to Wally World and buy a cheapo 50' hose to use for test fitting length.

Danno, here's a pic of my pump under the helm.

steeringpump_zps7c32f6ca.jpg

Seriously, why is mine taking up all that Real-estate under my longer? Because of the sub under the helm? Does the dealer install this (select the location) or the factory?

Thanks for the pic. No worries now.

Seriously, why is mine taking up all that Real-estate under my longer? Because of the sub under the helm? Does the dealer install this (select the location) or the factory?
It's factory done. Don't know why yours is under there. Did you have the elevated helm?

It's factory done. Don't know why yours is under there. Did you have the elevated helm?
Yes, elevated helm. I have a service appointment Wednesday, I'll inquire then, about relocation possibilities.

My Verado power steering unit is under the elevated helm as well.

My Verado power steering unit is under the elevated helm as well.
I thought Verado p/s was built into the motor somewhere?

Mines also under the consol

Back