Securing ice chest to aft deck

Parzival

Reaction score
I *know* I've seen this discussed before on this forum.  I searched and spent around 30 minutes trying to find the discussion but couldn't find it.  So, my apologies for the new topic.

For those of you that place your ice chest on the port aft side, outside of the play pen, how do you keep it secure there?

Lag bolts! :p  Chain and binders if a less invasive way is wanted. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was JeffS that did this. Perhaps he'll chime in.

PDX Hosedragger has some pics of an interesting way to do it in his gallery. Here: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/image/1985-cooler-tie-down-system/

I bought some hardware to do something similar with a big Coleman Extreme but I haven't done it yet. Still looking forward to seeing how JeffS did his install. 

gallery_1162_153_256390.jpg

Oh...such a deal I have for you...

When I was polishing (the bottles of spirits) and arranging (the bottles of spirits) this weekend...I snapped a picture of the mount that I put on the back of the boat. Below are pix of the mount without the coolers, and the picture previously posted with the coolers in place.

And another picture of the spirits I polished and arranged...just because I like that picture.

Enjoy!

BWAAAHAAAAHAHA!!!

I was just kidding, didn't think someone actually did what I was joking about and then a small combo version of it to boot. hahaha!. :lol:

That's a solid setup, Jeff! Looks great. I took a chunk of angle aluminum and my cooler and went and played around with mine today. I think I'm going to do a hybrid setup with aspects taken from JeffS' install (a couple small brackets), PDX's install (some added hardware) and the Yeti tie down kit, (the cam straps). I usually have two 120qt behemoths on my boat so having one permanently back there will be very nice. I'll post up some pics of my install when I get it done. 8 days to another boat camping trip for me. Can't wait. 

I would try to make use of one of the U bolts in the motor well for one side of the cooler. Less holes in the boat if you can figure out a way. Ideally it would be nice to use the cleat too. No holes drilled if you can make that happen.

Maybe strap a piece of plywood down as a base with a strap through the cleat and U bolt, then put whatever brackets you want on the plywood. Easier to return the boat to factory condition that way.

Yeah. Seeing all these things drilled into the deck makes my stomach turn. I always think resale and leaving it stock or using bolt on items is all I do.

You can take a screw out of woven seagrass without leaving any evidence it was there. I would have done things differently with the same hesitation others are expressing if not for the seagrass.

I would try to make use of one of the U bolts in the motor well for one side of the cooler. Less holes in the boat if you can figure out a way. Ideally it would be nice to use the cleat too. No holes drilled if you can make that happen.
That U bolt will be the tie down on that side of my cooler. I wish I could use the cleat, but it's too far forward on my boat. I thought about just adding a second one there, maybe a pop-up, but that would require dropping the wave shield back there. Maybe I just need to get a rivet gun though...

I guess this is a little off-topic, but does anyone know the size/type of rivets I'd need to pickup if I did want to pull part of my wave shield off? I'm clueless on that stuff. 

I added a couple D-rings to my aft deck tonight. I'm going to try these alone and see if it's sufficient before stepping up to a couple of pieces of angle aluminum. The other side of the cooler will be tied down to the U-bolt on the port side of my transom. I'm going to put more than 100 miles on my boat over the next few days with a full cooler back here. Wish me luck!

IMG_2191.JPG

My 120qt cooler stayed in place nicely over 3 days of boating. I did a strap to each new d-ring on the outside and then one strap to the u-bolt in the transom and one to the back rail for safety. I liked having that one around the rail but I wonder if it will wear down the anodized finish over time. Either way, it worked awesome and I don't think I'll add anything else like the angle aluminum. If I do it will be just one piece at the back. Not the most elegant solution, but I'm quite pleased. 

IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9584.jpg

IMG_9583.jpg

I use bungee cord run thru the cleat and on wrapped around the ski pole 

I use bungee cord run thru the cleat and on wrapped around the ski pole 
That would be my route.  No holes in the boat that way.  At least it would be a good starting point to see if it worked.

The bonus of a cooler on the rear deck is when beached and standing around the stern in the water.  Having it tied down keeps you from losing it when you take off if you forget it's there.

Well I just dropped some coin on a new Yeti Tundra 75 off e-bay for a fair price. Have been watching for a good deal for a year and a buy it now deal on a brand new one popped up this morning and I jumped on it.

So now I will be looking at options to keep up with the Jones here and looking at rear deck mounting options as well. I was looking at the tundra 65 I think would have fit behind the captains chair like my old coleman but the Yetis are so thick that I would have lost inside cooler capacity so I decided to retain inside capacity size and go with the larger tundra 75 instead and move it to the rear deck.

Back