Security systems?

This marina is gated. Full door with fences along side of that. Also, all night security on guard. Currently upgrading to all new LED lighting as well.

The problem are "pirates" coming up in the night by boat. Houseboats have been bigger targets then the pontoon and ski boats, but they aren't left completely alone..

I agree, I would not be leaving valuables on the boat, that can be removed. However, the Roswell Audio system with the kicker deck and fish/depth graph are integrated into the dash and not really removable. 

Not worried about the motor really. It's massive, and insured. Motors have not been a common problem over there. Fishing equipment, wake boards, stereos, and on houseboats generators and more. 

I know the stuff is all insured, but it sure could ruin your day when you show up with friends or family to enjoy a nice day on the lake and your boat has been vandalized or stolen from.

I also know flashing lights and sirens could go ignored by security (maybe, maybe not) but if it gets the assholes to run off, then good. 

Still working with a shop to find the right solution.

Everything can be replaced but it would flat out suck to not get to go boating because someone stole your legal necessities.

I sleep on the lake side of the bed that is about 200ft from the dock and boat. Given the walkout I have a nice little vantage point to make a shot if needed!

Talked to Marineguard.net and I think they are who I will go with...

Part number MG01C is $350 and includes the main box, a siren, 2 fobs, led indicator light, and 2 deck sensors.

Addtionally, I will add 2 more deck sensors for $83.00 and the cell phone communicator for $227. The cell phone communication will be an additional $150 yearly subscription. 

We will also wire the system to trigger the front "head lights" as well. 

Skipping the door sensors to avoid more wiring and because its not really needed anyways. The deck sensors detect flex in the flooring when a human steps on them. Not sensitive enough to pick up small animals or bird  for false alarms. 

The only issue is, figuring out how to get the deck sensors installed with the entire bottom side of the boat being sheathed in aluminum wave guard. 

If anyone from Bennington wants to chime in on that, that would be great. It's a 2250 GPD with SPS package.

You can get to pretty much anywhere you need to get under the boat by. Removing the side skirts (the aluminum between the rub rails and the pontoons) with these pieces off you can pull wires to anywhere you need to get to and then Drill down threw the floor. You can get to the side doors no problem for the sensors this way "easy-peezy" sounds like this alarm your going with is gonna be awesome. In my opinion I would do the door pins. Because I would think if the cover was on most people would simply open the side door and crawl in under your cove. The moment the door opens and the alarm chirps the Thiefs will hit the road. If you have the ability to add a motion senc overhead light that's a great deturant. When a bright light turns on the theifs don't know who it's alearting another reason for theifs to just keep on moving and take advantage of the next boat down the line.  It sucks to think like this but you don't have to make your boat like Fort Knox, just more secure then the next guy. Sort of kick the can down the road.  Personally I'm more worried about leaving food in my boat by accident and having a raccoon or somthing smell it and tear the crap out of my boat trying to ge some stupid cheetos.

Cheetos are NOT stupid.

Cheetos are NOT stupid.

Someone is on a roll today. LOL

After a year you get less "worried" or at least I did . Initially I thought I should lock my lift box. I never did. Last year I saw where someone broke the plastic lid to get to one. Not sure if it was the owner that forgot the key or a thief that stole the boat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get to pretty much anywhere you need to get under the boat by. Removing the side skirts (the aluminum between the rub rails and the pontoons) with these pieces off you can pull wires to anywhere you need to get to and then Drill down threw the floor. You can get to the side doors no problem for the sensors this way "easy-peezy" sounds like this alarm your going with is gonna be awesome. In my opinion I would do the door pins. Because I would think if the cover was on most people would simply open the side door and crawl in under your cove. The moment the door opens and the alarm chirps the Thiefs will hit the road. If you have the ability to add a motion senc overhead light that's a great deturant. When a bright light turns on the theifs don't know who it's alearting another reason for theifs to just keep on moving and take advantage of the next boat down the line.  It sucks to think like this but you don't have to make your boat like Fort Knox, just more secure then the next guy. Sort of kick the can down the road.  Personally I'm more worried about leaving food in my boat by accident and having a raccoon or somthing smell it and tear the crap out of my boat trying to ge some stupid cheetos.

I may add some door sensors. As far as crawling in, they would crawl over a deck sensor anyways though and set the alarm off. Deck sensors will be positioned strategically throughout the boat, not just on the front and rear decks.As far as motion, I'm not so sure... Motion sensors will get me false alarms with people walking by, or small animals. I think other people mooring at this marina won't appreciate 120db sirens going off all the time. That's why I want to stick to sensors which involve people directly touching my boat... Doors and deck sensors. At the very least, we will wire in the boats "headlights" and I may add a flashing siren style light as well. Any 12v light will wire in easily and the system has a spot specifically for that.Thank you for the suggestion of taking off the side aluminum. Only issue I see with that, is trying to position a desk sensor near the helm in middle of the boat. We will figure all of that out though!I'll be sure to post photos and maybe a video of the system in action once complete. I have to wait until monday to order parts, which I will receive the same week. Install will happen the week after next.Reserved my slip on the lake yesterday. (Good thing too, only three spaces left in the size and section I wanted)... Fills up fast when this enormous lake is full!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as being more secure then the next guy... I'm fairly sure no one else will have any sort of security system. 

I hope my alarm is loud enough that they would leave the marina all together, and not just move on. The system will go off continuously for two minutes straight if triggered, and then reset waiting for another trigger. 

If I hustle, I could be there in just over 10 minutes should I get a trigger.

I was recommending a Motion Detector Light only. People walk by and set off the motion light and people will go else where

JsnMR2.....  

I've learned over the years whether it's your automobile, motorcycle, home, boat or what other toys you may have............If somebody wants to break in, vandalize, or steal something..........THEY'RE GOING TO DO IT!!! Sure you may slow them down or make it harder for them to do but if they really want something THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE IT!

I'm starting to think that the cost is starting to add up.Does the insurance rates drop if you have a alarm?

I'm starting to think that the cost is starting to add up.Does the insurance rates drop if you have a alarm?

Most likely, no discount. The reason being that it would almost be impossible for an insurance company to be able to determine how good of a system a person really had and whether it was operational 24/7/365. Typically, to get a discount you would need a central station alarm and have it certified. Usually only banks and jewelry stores are willing to pay the money for certification.

Most likely, no discount. The reason being that it would almost be impossible for an insurance company to be able to determine how good of a system a person really had and whether it was operational 24/7/365. Typically, to get a discount you would need a central station alarm and have it certified. Usually only banks and jewelry stores are willing to pay the money for certification.

We get a discount on our homeowners policy with our home system.

We get a discount on our homeowners policy with our home system.

I stand corrected. Yes, a discount is available for home security systems. However, a boat is an entirely different beast.

If you leave your boat on a dock long term in my opinion the $1000 you spend on a security system will pay off. 

#1 peace of mind. (What's that worth to you) 

#2 think about this. If your boat gets broken into and your equipment is stolen your out that $ so now you have to go get new equipment. And now you have to have it re-installed.? Can you do it your self. Do you have to haul your boat off the lake and to a local shop to re-install your equipment? Come summer time most shops are pretty backed up. Are you gonna loose a weekend or 2 getting your stuff installed and back to normal. 

And all of this is based on if they have not broken things while ripping you off. 

In my opinion the loss of the equipment is next to nothing $ in the big picture  the time off the water and the time and energy you will need to spend to get you back to where you were b4 is a way bigger loss.

keep my boat in my driveway under no less then 3 HD securty cams. My boat is 100% stock as far as equipment so I'm not that worried. But I do leave my boat on the dock overnight a few nights a summer and I can tell you I almost always wake up in the middle of the night and worry before going back to sleep. (Keep in mind the dock inparknat has securty and a camera right over the boat) I would not keep my boat on the dock for a extend period with out a alarm. 

But if I had a Aluminum fishing boat  with nothing in it, I wound not have a care I the world. 

If you leave your boat on a dock long term in my opinion the $1000 you spend on a security system will pay off. 

#1 peace of mind. (What's that worth to you) 

#2 think about this. If your boat gets broken into and your equipment is stolen your out that $ so now you have to go get new equipment. And now you have to have it re-installed.? Can you do it your self. Do you have to haul your boat off the lake and to a local shop to re-install your equipment? Come summer time most shops are pretty backed up. Are you gonna loose a weekend or 2 getting your stuff installed and back to normal. 

And all of this is based on if they have not broken things while ripping you off. 

In my opinion the loss of the equipment is next to nothing $ in the big picture  the time off the water and the time and energy you will need to spend to get you back to where you were b4 is a way bigger loss.

keep my boat in my driveway under no less then 3 HD securty cams. My boat is 100% stock as far as equipment so I'm not that worried. But I do leave my boat on the dock overnight a few nights a summer and I can tell you I almost always wake up in the middle of the night and worry before going back to sleep. (Keep in mind the dock inparknat has securty and a camera right over the boat) I would not keep my boat on the dock for a extend period with out a alarm. 

But if I had a Aluminum fishing boat  with nothing in it, I wound not have a care I the world. 

I agree.... It's mostly about the piece of mind and stopping a day or weeks from being ruined by an incident. I understand that I have insurance and things will be covered, but that's not the point. Could you imagine showing up to enjoy a nice day on the lake, perhaps with friends and family to find your boat was a victim of theft or vandalism? It would be terrible. 

My boat will be on the water for 7 months straight.... I can go check on it often and plan on using it a lot, but I'm more worried about the in middle of the night incidents. 

Having trouble figuring out the logistics of this stuff.... Actively working on it though.

I totally agree that if the possibility of such an event would have you waking up in the middle of the night (so to speak), having a security system is the way to go. Hopefully you'll never have it tested, but if it does happen it will go a long way to keeping you on the water.

Think about posting a video of it in action once you get it installed. It might give the rest of us pause...

Parts ordered!

MG01C: $ 351.00

• 2-zone control panel enclosed in a NEMIII, weather-resistant box.  Components are hand-coated with a humiseal product to protect them from marine environment.
  • 2 Deck Sensors (1 DSE2 sensor package)
  • White siren
  • 2 water-resistant key FOBs
  • 1 LED to indicate alarm system's status

- Two additional Deck Sensors (DSE2) $83.00
- Three Large Door Contacts (MGLC) $81.00
- MGR Non GPS Transmitter (For cell phone and email alerts when triggered) $227.00
- One year subscription for cell service $150.00 (occurs yearly)

Pretty excited about this.... There are many options you can add if you like. Bilge alarm, GPS, more comprehensive cellular service with can include 24 hour 7 day per week live monitoring which can contact police/fire for you. 

I'll keep the thread updated when we get into installation once it arrives. The boat goes on the water in about 30 days. Hopefully this is all done in the next two weeks. 

Back