Sewing a new cover

I think it would be easier (as a novice) to cut them out and sew. It  might not be too bad if the fabric is easy to work with though. I've watched their videos and they make it look so easy .....  :angry:

Not yet. I didn't want to cut samples to play with until I cut my pieces out. With my luck I would cut a piece off to play with and be 2" short!!! My goal is to roll the new material out later, add some excess due to shrinkage of the old cover and start playing with the scraps to get it dialed in. From what I've read our sewing machine is pretty stout for a home unit so it should handle it. It's a singer 9970.

If all else fails I know of a guy on Lake Fenton with a Bennington I could reach out to for help!!!

Always happy to help Lakeliving and you are always welcome to come over and use my machine too. Most important is to top stitch once you get your seams put together. Adds significant strength to it. Bonded Polyester thread will outlast the fabric. 

Always happy to help Lakeliving and you are always welcome to come over and use my machine too. Most important is to top stitch once you get your seams put together. Adds significant strength to it. Bonded Polyester thread will outlast the fabric. 

I appreciate it. Looking at the material I think my machine will handle it. I just need to run some scrap pieces through it to get it dialed in. I watched the Sailrite video on how to make a pwc cover and was planning to sew like they did. From the back and then again on top through the 3 pieces of material. I think they called it a standing seam.

I traced and cut the material last night aside from where the angles/darts that need to be sewn. I'll do that tonight, set up the sewing machine and hopefully have it wrapped up tomorrow.

Good luck with the project!

Just finished sewing the two halves together. I'll test fit in the morning and sew in the shock cord along the bottom. 

Sewing pisses me off. I don't know how you guys do it.  I can build or fix just about anything, but I can't sew to save my life.  Kudos to you guys for trying projects like this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - quick work!

D9FAFEF6-E261-4F7A-B53F-87562EBBD963_zps614kcndn.jpg

all done! 

So not seeing the fit of the original, are you pleased with your results? I mean it looks really nice, but does it fit like you wish or expected? If not, what would you do different?

So not seeing the fit of the original, are you pleased with your results? I mean it looks really nice, but does it fit like you wish or expected? If not, what would you do different?

If I had a lot more time I would have made my own templates instead of using the factory one and changed it up a bit. It could have been a little more form fitting. Overall I'm happy though. 

If I had a lot more time I would have made my own templates instead of using the factory one and changed it up a bit. It could have been a little more form fitting. Overall I'm happy though. 

Nice job Andy...Looks great.

Back