Sharkhide - Patch Application

sunnyside360

Reaction score
Looking for advice on Sharkhide.  I have a 2014 Bennington bought new with Sharkhide applied at the factory.  It is kept in an enclosed building year round and trailered to the lakes when used.   After three summers of use, the nice shiny pontoons are starting to show a few small areas of oxidation where the outside toons have rubbed against the dock when parked for short periods while fueling, launching and etc.  If possible, I would like to fix the areas, i.e., apply sharkhide where these small scuff areas exist before it gets any worse.  Or, would it be best to remove all old SH on outside pontoons and then apply new SH?? 

You can touch up there areas by reapplying. If they are not oxidized much, I'd just go that route. If pretty bad, your in for some work and lots of laquer thinner....

From their website:Q: How do I maintain my SHARKHIDE finish?A: Simply use a mild warm soap and water solution just as you would on your car. Q: What products will harm my SHARKHIDE finish?A: Any petroleum based product like gasoline, solvents, thinners, or any other product's that contain petroleum's, such as waxes and polish's. Also some acid's and certain cleaners. Since it's absolutely impossible to test all product's for their effects on SHARKHIDE, don't apply anything other than a mild soap solution and you shouldn't have any problems.Q: What can I do to remove SHARKHIDE?A: SHARKHIDE can be easily removed with Lacquer Thinner no matter how long it's been on a surface.Q: How do I remove SHARKHIDE from a small area?A: Simply saturate a cloth or paper towel with Lacquer Thinner and scrub it off.Q: How about removing SHARKHIDE from a large area?A: Put Lacquer Thinner in a quart spray bottle, set the spray nozzle to a fine spray, and concentrate the spray in about a two foot area. Continuously spray the area without allowing the thinner to evaporate. Once the SHARKHIDE softens and turns to a jell, swipe it away with paper towels

Be careful with overspray and wind if using the spray bottle method. Last thing you want is the panels getting lacquer thinner on them. 

If you have oxidation, not sure it's possible to get back to the factory look before reapplying Sharkhide...

semperf18387, thanks for the Sharkhide info.  Guess I should've tried looking at their website.

kaydano, I'm hoping to get close to factory finish using scotch brite pads on small (baseball size) oxidation areas if possible. Except for 2 or 3 small patches, all three pontoons still look like new after 3 summers of use.

I wonder if anyone else has tried fixing scuff marks on sharkhided pontoons.

I have. Just be careful not to polish too much to remove the  the oxidation. Just enough to get the job done as the finish will be brighter than the factory finish and you don't want to make it more noticeable than it necessary. Ensure it is clean, reapply the Sharkhide with a clean white rag, and you should be good to go.

Will you notice it? Yes, but I'm pretty picky and it isn't that bad (not on a smaller area anyway) and all in all, much less noticeable than the oxidation and much less time and work than doing the entire toon. Of course, this all depends on the size of the area...

Back