shrink wrap

Webster

Reaction score
We are first time Bennington owners and just had the boat shrink wrapped for the winter.  The entire back is open and when we questioned it, the marina said it was fine.

This doesn't seem right, what's the point if it can just fill up with snow, rain or whatever?  Should we have them redo it, maybe find another marina?

No, didn't take any.  But it's wide open, you can just walk in, in a crouch position.

I could be wrong as we store inside but I have seen a few shrink wraps and I only remember seeing them completely closed and thought that was the point of shrink wrap

If you can see the furniture it's not wrapped properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have always shrink wrapped (have used two differs outfits) and it has been open at the back on the sides of the motor. I have even (with great difficulty) gotten inside by crawling up. It is for airflow and both places have put baffled vents near the top of the cover. It does come below the deck rail all around but the motor keeps it away from the deck in the back. Never had a problem with weather getting in. 

My previous bowrider was wrapped tighter and had no way to get in but it was an inboard, so there wasn't a motor hanging off to hold it out from boat. 

We have always shrink wrapped (have used two differs outfits) and it has been open at the back on the sides of the motor. I have even (with great difficulty) gotten inside by crawling up. It is for airflow and both places have put baffled vents near the top of the cover. It does come below the deck rail all around but the motor keeps it away from the deck in the back. Never had a problem with weather getting in. 

That's exactly how they do mine as well.  I can pay $45 extra to have a zippered access door, but I just work my way up the gap to put in the moth balls, dryer sheets, and damp rid.  

I would be concerned if it was as open as the OP described.  There shouldn't be a way for rain/snow to get in, and I wouldn't think you should be able to directly see the furniture.     

Here's a pic.

/monthly_2016_10/large.IMG_1432.JPG.b88b964ece0d4241bb516301a183f3bf.JPG

What about critters? Great place to den up for the winter ;)

Very similar to mine but our peak is steeper - I can actually stand once inside - and the wrap extends and covers the lower unit also. Only problem with critters was one year some mice or chipmunks got inside the Bimini cover and chewed two holes in the Bimini itself - about 2" circles, pictures in my gallery. Had them repaired at a canvas shop and I've since been sure to add mothballs inside it (or removed it when I remember before getting it wrapped). No other evidence of critters elsewhere, but I do also use damp rid, mothballs and dryer sheets. Don't have pix but will try to remember next time I see it. 

Back