Sizzor vs bunk trailer

Willy

Reaction score
We are brand new to the pontoon world. Just put money down on a new Bennington today. The dealer is trying to talk us into the sizzor style trailer. Not sure which way to go. We will be trailering each time we use it. Any where from 15 to 150 miles. I like the idea of the bunk trailer but have been told these can be a challenge at some landings. What are your thoughts? The boat is just a 21ft with a 90 Yamaha. Plan on lots of fishing with it. I have a half ton truck. Any thoughts on the trailer will sure be appreciated.

Personally I would not buy a scissors trailer if trailering especially as far as 150 miles. Curious as to why the dealer is saying get the scissors trailer

Big advantage to scissor trailer is being able to easily share with others. I use my neighbors trailer to launch and pull out our boat (1 mile backroad trip). I let him store it on my property when not being used. Boat stays in the water. Off season I can just drop the pontoon onto blocks on the ground in my yard. A few neighbors also share a different one. The narrower axle width seems tippier to me though and would not want to tow regularly if I had to launch every time. My dealer delivered our boat 340 miles to our lake on one though, but they use them to move boats around their businesses too.

Last edited:
Buy a bunk type. Not only is it more stable for towing the boat, but you can use it for other things like I did with mine yesterday as you can make a flat bed trailer out of it. 69765AC0-3009-4CAC-8A44-CF832C2552E8.jpeg

That's my understanding too. Scissors aren't as safe around corners, but it lets you put the boat on the ground (blocks).

Took me a bit of looking, but I was able to find a post I made on March 11, 2011.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I hemmed and hawed about whether to buy a float on or crank up trailer. Here's what my research taught me.

Float On (bunk style)

Pros:

- Wide stance for high speed and/or long distance towing

- Necessary for tri-toons

- Simpler to power load

- Can get one with a ladder to board at the bow

Cons:

- Need deeper water to launch than crank ups

- Slightly more expensive than crank ups

- Much harder to get trailer out from under boat for storage or sharing a trailer

- Almost impossible to locate used

Crank Up

Pros:

- You can lower your boat to the ground (for storage or sharing purposes)

- You can beach your boat and usually still get the trailer underneath

- Slightly cheaper than float ons

- Multiple owners can share

- Seem to last forever

Cons:

- Much less stable on the road and highway

- Won't work on a tri-toon

- Narrow wheelbase and smaller tires

- Must be loaded correctly or bad things will happen

- Almost impossible to locate used

In the end, I bought a tandem axle crank up. My boat is stored indoors just a mile from the launch ramp. Another ramp, with docks, is just 3 miles away. I got a great deal on a 24' tandem crankup for $1400. I also have friends who may want to borrow my trailer occasionally and now, they can.

Hope this helps!

The forum comes through once again for a new member! Just a few hours and he's got all the info he needs to make a decision on a trailer...

This forum really is an awesome place. I either laugh, learn something, or try to give back to all those that helped me over the years. Never got mad at anyone here. Except that one guy that a lot of us were frustrated with. He seems to have changed though. Maybe the forum had a hand in that too...

Last edited:
One more thing. Is Mark the only retired guy up at 2:37 in the morning reading this forum?

Based on pics I've seen (and one that is burned into my skull) I'm guessing he hadn't gone to bed yet. Probably still finishing off a box Mic Ultras. Am I right?

One more thing. Is Mark the only retired guy up at 2:37 in the morning reading this forum?

Oh my, no. I am wide awake at 2 a.m. very frequently lately. So much to fret about, I guess.

We did have some big storms roll through last night so all of us were up!

Also, with the scissor trailer, my neighbor lowers his onto dollies in his driveway then pushes it into his garage to store for the winter. His Garage doors aren’t tall enough to to leave on the trailer anyway.

I can’t find any reason that would be worth the risk of dumping my boat in a curve. Good luck with your decision.

We are brand new to the pontoon world. Just put money down on a new Bennington today. The dealer is trying to talk us into the sizzor style trailer. Not sure which way to go. We will be trailering each time we use it. Any where from 15 to 150 miles. I like the idea of the bunk trailer but have been told these can be a challenge at some landings. What are your thoughts? The boat is just a 21ft with a 90 Yamaha. Plan on lots of fishing with it. I have a half ton truck. Any thoughts on the trailer will sure be appreciated.
Hey Willy Just to be Funny! If you can't spell it right maybe just get a Bunk Trailer

Last edited:
I had a scissors style trailer and sold it because it was VERY tippy. Every trip was a white knuckle affair. Even though I tried to be careful, almost rolled the boat one time. Took a right turn into a parking lot a little too fast and the right side tire actually went up in the air about a foot! Saw this in the side view mirror and jerked the wheel left just in time. Bought a bunk trailer and couldn't be happier.

There are some legitimate reasons to get a crank up trailer noted above. Unless you have one of those reasons and no other options, don't get one.

Last edited:
I had a scissors style trailer and sold it because it was VERY tippy. Every trip was a white knuckle affair. Even thought I tried to be careful, almost rolled the boat one time. Took a right turn into a parking lot a little too fast and the right side tire actually went up in the air about a foot! Saw this in the side view mirror and jerked the wheel left just in time. Bought a bunk trailer and couldn't be happier.

There are some legitimate reasons to get a crank up trailer noted above. Unless you have one of those reasons and no other options, don't get one.

Well, that's about as strong of a recommendation as I've ever heard. No sizxor trailer for me! Not that I'm thinking about getting one. Just sayin.

I never could remember how to spell that word myself, so didn't even try.

Back