SKI ROPE GETS CAUGHT ON LADDER AND ENGINE

PMIKEBOAT

Reaction score
I have a 2015 2274GL with a Yamaha 250 HP.

When coming around to the right to get a skier set up to ski,  the rope keeps hanging up

on the ladder and the engine.

The pylon is very short that comes up out of the back cover and does allow the rope to clear the ladder or engine.

Can you get a taller pylon?  Or any other suggestions.

Thanks, Mike

The tall one is 52".

Does yours pull up and twist lock into position? I never had a problem on my first boat, but it was only a 90.

I have the shorter 46" pylon with a v6 F200XA. Never had any problem with the rope snagging on anything back there. When I come back around to pick someone back up, I usually pull in with them on my port side. Sometimes on starboard but no problems there either. 

I don't think the 52" is telescoping those are just big solid chunks of steel. 

52" is not telescoping. The only difference is...taller.

My cover has a hole for the 52" pylon

The difference is in the models. My 2075 GLi had the pylon lift up where one of the cup holders was in the rear sundeck and you twisted it to lock it into place. Obviously an RCW or GBR doesn't have that layout, so not an option. It is kind of like a reverse of ours, we lower our ski pylons and twist, whereas he lifts and twists. It isn't actually telescoping.

I actually like the fact the tow rope gets caught on the ladder.

At first it seems like a royal pain, but I now always throw the rope off to the side of the boat when tubing so that IT INTENTIONALLY GETS STUCK ON THE LADDER.  It keeps the rope off to the side of the boat and out of the prop.  Then, after tightening up the rope, and a slight turn to starboard, and a slight gun on the motor, and it pops right up over the ladder and away you go.  Once you get the hang of it, it works pretty slick.  I wouldn't want it any other way actually.  Sometimes I have to "gun it" a couple times to get the rope to pop over, but it works pretty good.

By the way, I don't have the pylon.  Just the regular tow bar (S model).

If there was an attachment you could add to the starboard side of the ladder railing to give it a slight angle, or a slight permanent factory modification to the ladder handle on the far starboard side so it sloped upward slightly instead of going straight up vertically, it would help even more to get the rope to pop over the top of the ladder handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back