Ski / Tubing Options

Jack M

Reaction score
We did not purchase a ski option on our RCW .We don't ski or tube and we have no children .

Yesterday while at the dealer ,he told me that if we really did want to ski or tube that you can use the welded rings on the back of the outer logs . 

Has anyone ever tried this ?

I know we can use the arch for skiing but not for tubing

The last thing I want to do is damage the logs because I got bad information .

Comments ?

Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
You can sure use the rings, and it's best if you have a commercially made tow harness with a pulley. 

The harness actually works better for water skiers than tubers, as their ski ropes are held higher.  Pontoon boats run low in the water, and the rope can sometimes go through your wake at slow speeds with tubers.

You can sure use the rings, and it's best if you have a commercially made tow harness with a pulley. 

The harness actually works better for water skiers than tubers, as their ski ropes are held higher.  Pontoon boats run low in the water, and the rope can sometimes go through your wake at slow speeds with tubers.
Thanks ,he did mention that the set up (ski/tube) was different the using the arch .

Actually I can't see us using it ,unless our Nieces and Nephews come up .In fact they only ones that would ,their parents also own a Bennington .

I was also told that you can use the welded rings, I hope it's accurate info - LOL.   Three from the left ring, two from the ski pylon, and two from the right ring.  I do have the bridle with the pulley which we do use, but I didn't want to pull all seven from it alone, so I split the load evenly.  

Sorry, I thought the photo was imported the first time.  Tried to do it as a smaller photo, but it didn't work.
med_gallery_1508_387_131210.jpg

I was always under the impression that you were NOT supposed to use the rings on the back of the toons for a harness. I was led to believe that you were supposed to use the stainless steel u-bolts just in front of the transom area. I did think that seemed a little close to the motor and that in a swing, the harness would intrude on the motor. I guess because I have the pylon I didn't think anymore on it. I thought TB said something about it. Maybe that was just for lifting. 

I was told Not to use the "U bolts " for the exact reason you mentioned.

On mine now since it has the extended bow and stern ,if they ( rings  )  were to be used for lifting wouldn't the deck interfere since the are now under the deck ?

I am 100% positive that the u-bolts are for lifting the boat, not the rings, so no worries there. Just didn't know about tubing harness.

I would be nice for TB to chime in on this one.  With the bridle hooked up to the U-bolts, the paint would rub off the sides of the engine when the skier swings left or right.  I have the extended aft deck, so the welded rings couldn't be used to lift the boat.  We use the ski pylon 90% of the time, but I didn't think it could carry the load of six skiers plus a little one on for the ride.  I honestly thought that, if the welded rings could be used to lift the boat, then why couldn't they be used to pull a couple of skiers.  I did check with my dealer first, and was given the OK.

Here is an old comment from TB, doesn't really answer the questions, but it does show the strength of the u-bolts,

Team BenningtonCommodore

• Administrators
  • admin.png
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

PLEASE DO NOT TOW ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TUBE OR SKI WITH YOUR SKI PYLON OR SKI TOW BAR!This is "ski" equipment,designed to haul people and water toys...not heavy watercraft. 

In an emergency, if you need to tow, please use the stainless eyes bolted through the stern chassis. They are located on either side of the transom. Do not attach tow lines to eyes located on the nosecone or endcap.

Thanks, and be safe out there! We're glad to see such a helpful group of Club members, but please put safety first. For further information on towing safety, please reaseach through the American Boating and Yachting Council, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, or Boat U.S. 

PLEASE DO NOT TOW ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TUBE OR SKI WITH YOUR SKI PYLON OR SKI TOW BAR!

Now, I realize they are talking about towing a boat, just thought it was good info to know anyways.

That does answer ,my original question .

I have used the stainless u-bolts to tow another boat and it worked great.  I thought (maybe wrongly) that pulling skiers or tubers form the welded eylets on the rear of the tube might put too much torque on the tubes especially when they are cutting back and forth and that much torque could impair the alignment of the tubes.

Jack

When being towed... Is it ok to attach tow lines to eyes located on the nosecones?

When being towed... Is it ok to attach tow lines to eyes located on the nosecones?
Also with the extended bow ,wouldn't the tow line be  putting pressure on the deck since the tubes are fully covered ?

Nope, TB states in the same topic that the stainless steel u-bolt that is attached to the crossmember should be used in the front. Although, now you have me thinking, with my ESP, is there one?? I used to attach to it on my twin tube for winching on the trailer, but I've never looked for it on the new one. I'll check on the boat at the boat show today. Bennington rep is supposed to be there today, his plane got delayed yesterday. PM me if anyone has a quick question for him today!! Haha

As I recall, our S has a steel u-bolt several crossmenbers (2 or 3) back from the front.  But with the center tube, any tow strap would have to snake around the mounts (which might not be a big deal, it's just not a clean shot).

I could see that slowly lifting a pontoon boat and all its weight by any of the eyes as not putting a lot of force on the eye since there isn't any "shock load" to deal with as long as it is lifted slowly off the truck.  Towing will almost ALWAYS introduce high shock load, and that could be significantly worse.

So, I can see Bennington saying it's okay to lift a boat by an eye, but not towing another boat by that same eye (or being towed) due to the shock load.

Definitely a question to ask that rep Derrick!

Ask him about those stickers too...  Ha ha ha.

Nope, TB states in the same topic that the stainless steel u-bolt that is attached to the crossmember should be used in the front. Although, now you have me thinking, with my ESP, is there one?? I used to attach to it on my twin tube for winching on the trailer, but I've never looked for it on the new one. I'll check on the boat at the boat show today. Bennington rep is supposed to be there today, his plane got delayed yesterday. PM me if anyone has a quick question for him today!! Haha
Just looked! Other than the cleats and toons, no where to attach to be towed!

As I recall, our S has a steel u-bolt several crossmenbers (2 or 3) back from the front.  But with the center tube, any tow strap would have to snake around the mounts (which might not be a big deal, it's just not a clean shot).

I could see that slowly lifting a pontoon boat and all its weight by any of the eyes as not putting a lot of force on the eye since there isn't any "shock load" to deal with as long as it is lifted slowly off the truck.  Towing will almost ALWAYS introduce high shock load, and that could be significantly worse.

So, I can see Bennington saying it's okay to lift a boat by an eye, but not towing another boat by that same eye (or being towed) due to the shock load.

Definitely a question to ask that rep Derrick!

Ask him about those stickers too...  Ha ha ha.
Went by the dealer yesterday .

Here is the "U bolt "  on the bow . One on each side .

Back