Slow fuel fill fix

K I S S

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2013 SLM 20'5" and found that the fuel goes in very slow and kicks back some gas at times.  I've researched this a little and found that the problem is probably the fuel vent.  Now, the problem is how to find the fuel vent... it is not next to the gas intake hole and I'm told it is probably up on top of a pontoon just below the deck.  Does anyone know how to make sure that line is clear of bugs or other obstacles that might be interrupting the flow of air from the gas tank as you fill it?  If anyone out there has dealt with this issue on a 2013 20 foot SLM, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks. KISS

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have to follow the vent line from the tank. Where is your tank located? I don't have an "s" model but some of the others I'm sure will chime in and welcome to the family.

You'll have to follow the vent line from the tank. Where is your tank located? I don't have an "s" model but some of the others I'm sure will chime in and welcome to the family.

agreed...follow the hose from the tank up to the vent.  Make sure there are no kinks?

Had the same issue with my G. Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it. Search the topic on here, you might find a fix others had done. I recall a few.

Thanks, guys... I've got it stored at a Marina and it is on low slats on wheels.  I can get under but not easily... it will require one of those roller beds like car mechanics use.  Any thoughts on what may be causing the flow-back when trying to fill it with gas?

I don't think you should need to get under it.

Thanks, guys... I've got it stored at a Marina and it is on low slats on wheels.  I can get under but not easily... it will require one of those roller beds like car mechanics use.  Any thoughts on what may be causing the flow-back when trying to fill it with gas?

You should not have to get under it.  Lines should be accessible from lifting seat cushion. Also, I'm not certain but the boat should still be under the 7 year warranty. For some reason I have it in my mind that it drops down to 5 yrs if you're not the original owner. I don't know why I am thinking this but it should not be hard to find out. Perhaps you should send an email to Bennington. They will respond promptly. 

Perhaps you should send an email to Bennington. They will respond promptly. 

They will respond promptly and tell you that since it is still under warranty to take it to a dealer.

My vent hose had a P trap shape in it. Down and up. Gas got stuck in it, plugging it from air venting.  All I did was wiggle it around so it had a nice consistent downward slope. The gas in the hose that was plugging it ran out when i did that.  No problems filling it since for the last several years.

Thanks Kaydano, I'll try that but it looks like for me the only way to the full vent hose is through the floor port... that will only give me access to the first foot or so of the hose... after that I'm thinking I'd have to get down under to follow the hose.  Hopefully if there is a "P-Trap" I'll find it right in the first few inches out of the tank.  Thanks again for your help.

I have a little funnel that came with mine from the dealer. It pushes past the trap and works but is still slow. I have found the best thing to do is turn the pump handle 90 degrees where it is horizontal instead of vertical. It fills very fast this way.

Thanks, CTays... I'll give that a try... We get back in the water about the middle of May.

We just purchased a 2018 SLMX 20 and I cannot believe how poorly this boat fills. After consuming about 1/4 of a 21 gallon tank I tried to add 5 gallons and I think 1/2 gallon spilled. This is a brand new boat. When I asked the dealer, they told me that when they deliver the boats and fill them, they wear more gasoline on them than what gets in the boat and blamed it on the EPA requirements.

It does not seam like a new boat should have the poor placement of the vent lines or plugged lines from insects. I will take a look at the placement of the lines but I have read a number of articles about using a "Y" connector and splicing the issue out.

Any additional help?

Check your hose as mentioned, to make sure there’s no “p trap” in your hoses, there’s no kinks or pinch points. Try different pump handle angles. I can fill mine fairly fast, but I tend not to, just in case. I fill it at what would be the first click on the hold open on nozzle.

Check your hose as mentioned, to make sure there’s no “p trap” in your hoses, there’s no kinks or pinch points. Try different pump handle angles. I can fill mine fairly fast, but I tend not to, just in case. I fill it at what would be the first click on the hold open on nozzle.
I am using a 5 gallon can with the new slow dispensing rate. I will check the lines

Are you actually getting the fill nozzle past the flap? Did you get a small funnel with your boat? We did, not sure what it was for, but when we used the race can jug it worked great. I could fill as fast as jug would empty. I now use this hose on my race can, and don’t need the funnel. The end is able to go past the flapper in the fill.

You might also try a super siphon to see if getting the hose down further helps.

58297BA8-1DD3-4FB8-824D-D5F2B22D3ECD.jpeg

Last edited:
Had the same problem using the "new" gas cans. I bought a flexible spout on-line and drilled a vent hole in the plastic gas can and it now fills very quickly. What took about 20 minutes now takes about six (three 5 gallon cans).

Super Siphon is still the best!

I recently bought one and have to agree it is easy to use and quick to the empty can. I used to have a 14 gallon on wheels that gravity fed the gas quickly but it was too heavy to lug around. Carry 5 gallon cans and super siphon.

New owner here, 2018 S20. The first time I put gas in mine it spilled out and was really awkward. I've added three or four 6 gallon jugs of gas since and I just use a 3/8" ID clear piece of hose about six feet long and siphon from the can into the tank. The clear hose gives you plenty of warning that the gas is coming and I just sit the gas jugs on the sundeck on a piece of cardboard to keep the vinyl clean. No more holding gas cans waiting for the the thing to empty. I put two jugs on the sundeck and they empty in a couple minutes each. I never go over 3/4 tank so no danger of overfilling and spilling. You could use a shaker siphon if you're not good at doing it "the old fashioned way". The other reason I do this is my gas filler is on the side away from the dock due to being really shallow on the other side.

Back