Smart Phone App for Acceleration

kaydano

Reaction score
I've seen smart phone apps for cars that combine the phone's stopwatch with the phone's gps to measure your acceleration to 60 MPH.

I think this would open up a whole new discussion topic on props and acceleration if there was an app where you could set the speed to something like 15 or 20 mph (instead of the 60 mph default), then everyone could compare boat acceleration. This would also allow us compare acceleration of a lightly loaded boat vs a heavy boat for different hulls and motors. We could send all the data to Link and he could boil it down and tell us what it really means!

If someone's seen one like this, let me know.

(If someone steals the idea and makes an app, I'm good with a 1% royalty!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea but am old school and don't have a smart phone. If someone needs to do a beta test and wants to do a ride along, let me know!!!!

The GPS app I have on my iphone has something that MIGHT work. In the one setting, I can reset to zero, then see time and speed. You would have to start it at exact moment you throttled up, but it would be close to what you are looking for ???

I use Ulysses Speedometer for Android - it might be what you are looking for.

I think Ulysses was the same one I used. Problem was, as I recall anyway, it only did 0-60 mph and the quarter mile. So, not useful for boats. MY boat anyway.

What I was looking for was one where you enter the max speed you want to hit (say 20 mph instead of 60), and as soon as you hit the throttle and the boat moves, the gps senses the movement, starts the stopwatch going, then when the gps hits 20 mph, it automatically stops the clock. All done by computer, so accurate, or at least very consistent.

I suppose you could do this by hand with a stopwatch (app) in one hand that you start just as you hit the throttle. Then hit stop when the gps says 20 mph. It would work, and be close, but would have more error.

Semperfi - What is that app name? Is it stock with the phone?

We have an iPad, and an iPod touch, but not an iPhone. All our phones are Android.

The free BMW M Power app does 0-30, 0-50, 0-60 times

Semperfi - What is that app name? Is it stock with the phone?

We have an iPad, and an iPod touch, but not an iPhone. All our phones are Android.
Speed Tracker from AppAnnex ... its a free one from app store.

Thanks guys I will check them out this weekend.

Yea, I certainly would love to see a new thread on this. Top speed in my opinion is secondary. I love power and acceleration especially since we ski and tube so much.

Back