So this happend to our cottage Monday evening, 2/24:

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
WOW!!! All involved pretty lucky. You and the sledder!

kaydano

Reaction score
I'm definitely getting some cameras. That is a crazy story!

Tomc

Reaction score
Good luck with everything Jeff. That guy is lucky to have survived. I hope he’s OK, too bad he has to pay a steep price for his action. Your cameras are great in that they pick up movement through glass. many do not.

As far as Trex.......the smoke ruined everything, smell is unforgiving, you need new decking. Good luck with it all!!

AZHEAT

Reaction score
That is CRAZY!! Ultimately it sounds like you have a contractor you trust to do the repairs and timing wise should hopefully be done in time for boating season. It obviously could have been much worse. Hopefully the guy ends up being fine and you have a story and a half when all is said and done. It gets to the point where nothing really surprises me anymore and if everyone is OK you just shrug and move on, usually a little lighter in the wallet.

goldnrod24

Reaction score
He is spare parts. He needed to drop it back about 40%. It will be new deck time at your place in the spring.

FERDA.

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Holy S--t!!! Couldn't imagine being 2 hrs. away watching all of this unfold. Especially the fire getting 2 stories tall......Glad all is well. Or will be.

TomS

Reaction score
Wow, those cameras sure led to a good result for a horrible situation both for your home and the rider.

My first thought was, "drunk driver", does their insurance even cover him for liability? Sounds like they're working with you, so I guess the answer is yes.

Whew, what a scary drama! Hopefully all gets put back together better than ever and you're made whole.

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
Wow, what a story! We recently added two Nest cameras along with a Nest doorbell. I've been of the opinion that cameras don't really prevent anything but just tell you what/who happened. This sure proves that theory wrong!

It also shows that God works in mysterious ways! He gave you a VRBO neighbor that caused you so much concern you got smart-home security cameras which saved your cabin. I think He really wants you to keep that cabin!

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
I've been of the opinion that cameras don't really prevent anything but just tell you what/who happened. This sure proves that theory wrong!

It also shows that God works in mysterious ways! He gave you a VRBO neighbor that caused you so much concern you got smart-home security cameras which saved your cabin. I think He really wants you to keep that cabin!
Up until Monday I was the same mind as you about my camera’s Tin - wont prevent anything, but there just to find out what went wrong, unless it was a full break in. Monday just showed me you just never know.

As for your second point, thank you for sharing that thought. I had not had it. Hadn’t looked at the scope of the whole thing in that way. That “dang” VRBO I like to complain about is the only reason I added those cameras, and without that, the entire place is lost, and the young man that hit it might be worse off. Man, that’s a powerful thought you just shared!!!

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
that’s a powerful thought you just shared
Thanks. it took most of my life before I started to get the hint, but when I look back and connect the dots, I'm amazed at how I could miss the messages!

sjhorner9475

Reaction score
Both :D

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Hmmm....I might just have to put something together. I had thought about putting it on the refrigerator up there, but like the framing it idea. Might take it up to Arnie’s Craft shop up there and put something together.