Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Sorry for so many questions!

Discussion in 'Owners Chat: Options and Upgrades' started by MrsClark, Oct 22, 2017.

1. MrsClark

MrsClark Well-Known Member

Well we thought we had gotten the lighted bimini option but apparently did not. Can they add it afterward now? Or is it a whole new bimini?

2. cwag911

cwag911 Moderator

You would need a new piece of the frame. You can only see the lights with the bimini open and at night you don't need the bimini open. Just my $.02

royal4 and BigKahuna like this.
  3. Havasu

Havasu Well-Known Member

I would think the lighted bimini coming from the factory would be the cleanest (and easiest) but the ones I've seen are just little LED lights spaced evenly around the frame. So, adding them to an existing frame might not be that be a deal as long as the wires can be fished to terminate under the helm. I'd ask the dealer and/or a local bimini place.

4. Jack M

Jack M Moderator

Look at your invoice ,if it is listed the dealer may owe you for it

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  5. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Ha! Never thought of that......

swiftm likes this.
  6. scubadad

scubadad Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents but my current boat and previous boat both had the bimini lights. We didn't custom order our boats, they just came with them. Other than seeing them on the showroom floor we have never turned ours on. At night when we would theoretically use them we always have the bimini closed up. Even the few times it's been open we never use them. In my opinion you should get the dealer to give you a refund/credit.

7. adkboater

adkboater Well-Known Member

We have the lighted Bimini and we hardly ever use it, we enjoy the stars and the moon rather than the blue led overhead. I turn it on sometimes as I’m waiting on our pub crawlers, even then I’m sometimes to lazy to open the Bimini for the mood lighting!

8. Vikingstaff

Vikingstaff Well-Known Member

We didn’t use ours the few times we boated at night this past summer. However, we didn’t get out much after dark - only 3 times. If I had it to do over, probably wouldn’t have gotten them. If they are on your invoice, I’d get a refund from the dealer. If they haven’t built the boat yet, then the dealer should be able to get the invoice/build order updated with them if you for sure want them. Agree with the above. Cleanest look will be from Bennington originally vs. adding them on later if you want them.

9. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

We ordered them, but I'm the type that would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Same with our table. The wiring goes down throuh side panel fencing, then into helm to the lighting switch. Eventually I hope to have a enclosure made for ours, so the bimini would be open at night, and I'd have use of them.

10. Link

Link Moderator

I have the lighted bimini and we are night cruisers. At night we always put the bimini up and turn on the lights as for us it is mood lighting. Most especially like the nice effect it has on my white hair; Old Lady purple

11. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

We have them. Only used twice in four seasons of use.

12. MrsClark

Thanks for all the input. They are not on the order sheet so we didn't pay for them. I think we will wait and see before we decide. We are going to do our own interior lighting around the seats and I am sure that will be plenty of lighting!

13. Rockie69

Rockie69 Well-Known Member

And "technically" they too can be a source for LEO to ride up on you. SOME, not all, tend to stick to the letter and think the ONLY lights should be the nav lights. Any others on the water could be taken as emergency vehicle lights. I know, I know, but it's what I heard and experienced myself. Again, this is not in every state, and also not how every LEO responds. It's a grey area. But thought I'd throw it out there.

Vikingstaff, Jdsdds and MrsClark like this.
  14. dannyleininger

dannyleininger Active Member

That is a very good point.

15. TroyBoy30

TroyBoy30 Active Member

weve got em, but they are white. havent been out after dark yet

16. Bamaman

Bamaman Well-Known Member

I never use mine at night, either.

17. MrsClark

I am thinking they aren't necessary.

cwag911 likes this.
  18. Spoiledrotten

Spoiledrotten Well-Known Member

On my last boat, I installed them in the bimini, but installed them to the bow, through the curves and down about a foot. They were usable with or without the bimini open. I have the factory installed, blue ice in the new boat. They are useless unless the bimini is open.

Vikingstaff likes this.
  19. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Active Member

We have them, but never use the Bimini lights as the top is always down when there is no sun (night). We do however enjoy the RGB toe kick and exterior lights for night time cruising.

Vikingstaff and Spoiledrotten like this.