Spec Recommendations

Dwayne Dixon

Reaction score
Looking to place a custom build order this week for Memorial Day weekend delivery.
My must haves are
1.) 22 ft SX
2.) Dual Captain Chairs
3.) Upgraded Sound System
4.) Fueling on Passenger Side of Boat.
5.) 115 HP
6.) Stern Radius
7.) Sea Star Hydraulic with Tilt
8.) Mooring Cover
9.) Ski Tow Bar
10.) Stainless Steel Prop

Would likes
1.) Extended Deck
2.) Bimini Blue Ice Lighting
3.) Drink holder lighting
4.) Docking lights
5.) SX premium package
6.) Yamaha 115

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as a fine tune the order.

I have a Chapparrel Bow Rider, so speed, skiing, tubing are not a requirement.
Boat will be used as slow day and night cruiser.

I am also a slow cruiser both day and night yet I would still suggest SPS, underskirting and Yamaha 150HP as a must for both your enjoyment as well as resale value. Night cruising is greatly enhanced by all the lighting options; sidelighting, underwater lighting, bimini and cup holders. I have all lighting options available and I still added additional blue ice additional lighting. As a matter of personal choice I prfer the ice blue over other colors and like a steady light over flashing lights

I have the same mindset, if you’re thinking 115 just go for the 150, no one has ever regretted it! As for your want list.... I’d do the extended deck, dock lights and the SX premium package. You get a ton of upgrades on the SX, you’ve only got now to ever get the extended deck and dock lights always come out nicer factory installed. You can always do the other light options after the fact. Best of luck!!

Having your Chaparral to cover water sports, and speed needs certainly gives you more flexibility in your pontoon.

IF on a larger water system, then I’d consider that SPS/150hp suggestion from Link. Nice when you got to get to a dock quickly in inclement weather or in an emergency. Otherwise, if on a smaller body of water, I can see a 90 or 115hp two toon with lifting strakes just being a nice slow cruiser that can scadadle enough on a minimum level when needed.

I would prioritize and DO the aft deck and and SX package for precisely the reasons articulated by Adk. I cannot imagine you’d ever have a regret, and I can imagine many cases where you would be so happy you did so. I wouldn’t give adding these two things a second though. I’d do it.

For the lighting...I have all the options you mention, and then some. They are awesome. We love them. And they are crazy expensive! In the evening, or at night, slow cruising with the lights on is awesome, especially with guests on board. But you pay a lot for them, and they don’t provide any practical value. As a matter of fact, they actually negatively impact night vision, so there is always that counter to having them anyway.

IF $ is tight, I’d prioritize all of the above none lighting options, they are very practicl. Many of these lighting options can be added later, and are not practical. It’s easy for me and the rest of us to spend your money, but the financials are important, and shouldn’t be overlooked. These things are expensive.

If $ is flexible, and you can make ALL of it work, go for it! Some lighting options cannot really be added later without major boat work, others are easier add-ons. The ones that can be added, are still going to be cleaner and better done if put on by Bennington at the get-go. Also, by doing them now, it is ALL covered by the 10 year warranty, where adding stuff later is not. :cool:

Ugh...decisions, decisions. :confused:

I have to second Links suggestion regarding the SPS if for no other reason than it will allow you to be out on rougher days than a two log set up. I've seen plenty of times where a pontoon is taking water over the bow while we're riding high and dry. Just a thought, depending on what kind of conditions you typically boat in. I'd also go with the extended deck, which really creates some usable space that you'll appreciate. Of course, if you're like many of us, it all has to fit within a budget. That said, I think you've got a nice build going above. Have fun...

If you set the boat up for performance it might be the only one you will need. Do SPS+ and you can get a 200 on a 22' i believe.

Back